New exotic pet law in Ohio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Anyone one from Ohio know the specifics of the new exotic pet law in Ohio that has folks surrendering their bears and cougars? Does it apply to tortoises as well? Does the law contain broad language such as “non-native"?

Ok. I just looked it up and the reptiles listed were crocs, gators, caimen, and snakes reaching 12' or more once they reach that length.
That said, the law is open ended in that any animal may be added at a later date.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Im not sure i understand what you are saying. What is the new law? Surrendering?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
The new law is a knee jerk reaction to the suicidal person from Ohio that released his lions, tigers, bears and baboons into the community. It bans the ownership of “exotic" pets in the state of Ohio without a major, restrictive permit that includes a one million dollar cash policy.

Vickie

5 Year Member
HI Cowboy. Actually is it new? I know we have a family friend that keeps exotic animals and he had to put a HUGE insurance policy for them a few yrs ago and he has had a permit for yrs now as well.
Now as far as one person that's not correct I know that for a fact. A couple yrs ago they had a Alligator put in a local water system causing some real issues.........it was a HUGE one released during the summer months when people were swimming. Also, you would be amazed at just how many animals our family friend got from calls from the local game wardens for exotic released animals on the lose.
Anyway, its those few people that decides hay lets by that cute little gator in FL and try raising in Ohio or others that like what we see all the time on here of people buying a tortoise first then trying to find out how to care for them. Then find out they are no way equipped to raise them and after getting to huge to handle just think oh I will release them at the local woods. I am praying as long as people are half way smart tortoises will never be on that list.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Cowboy_Ken said:
The new law is a knee jerk reaction to the suicidal person from Ohio that released his lions, tigers, bears and baboons into the community. It bans the ownership of “exotic" pets in the state of Ohio without a major, restrictive permit that includes a one million dollar cash policy.

It seems that you're saying that everyone that wants to keep the animals has to have a $1 million insurance policy. I do not think this is correct. I believe it is up to $1 million (for 16 or more animals). Less than 5 animals is only $200k.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Interesting...
I'm not sure this law is going to be effective. People who are dumb, vengeful, and/or irresponsible enough to release dangerous exotics into the wild are not going to be responsible enough to get the state-mandated insurance. Additionally, I doubt that the state has enough funding/staff to identify every household that owns an exotic animal and review the insurance documentation for each of these animals. Most will go uninsured. Those that are insured are not going to be the ones relased into the wild because they will likely be owned by the more law-abiding, responsible citizens.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
It is just one of many knee-jerk reaction laws created that will effect the majority of responsible keepers based on the infrequent reactions of a irresponsible few. The more effective way is to simply fine the heck out of the violators and just leave the rest of us alone.

Vickie

5 Year Member
Very true this never effects the people that don't care its just hurting the ones that do. Maybe cowboy it was due to that amount of animals he had? I know he has had up 1mil insurance on his for a few yrs now.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
The article I read stated directly that it was in response to the guy that released 100 animals, then killed himself. I'm going to stay here in Oregon. Ohio won't allow me to have a rhinoceros now.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Knee jerk reactions work both ways. Pretty much every time something like this is brought up, it is described erroneously. Remember when someone misinterpreted a law to say it was banning hamsters when it was in fact exempting hamsters?

Many of the animals included are already regulated in some way in most states. I think that most people are in favor of regulations for keeping these animals. From what I saw, Ohio's regulations seem reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.