New environment adjustment--update!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scuseme

5 Year Member
Well, (in large part thanks to all the great info and advice) I got here last week when I was freaking out and worried about my new Redfoot tortoise who had been sitting in his water forever, he seems to be doing great now!

First update: After almost three full days of not moving from his water bowl, he finally stated hanging out in other parts of his cage. He seems to like his hide and has gotten more adjusted to his new environment.

Second update: I think part of the reason he was hanging out in the water was due to the fact that he was dehydrated. After we got a humidifier for the tank, he was MUCH more active. I only bought a temp gauge when we bought him at Petco, but we went back and got a humidity gauge and were startled to see that the humidity was only around 40%. I think his was similar to his cage conditions at Petco. So I shelled out $55 for a humidifier at a cool small pet store I found (nothing at Petco) and it's been working great.

Third update: He loves mango and hates the processed tortoise food we got at Petco. I took it back and got some all natural "Healthy Herp" food from Petfood Express that is nothing more than freeze dried corn, carrots, dandelion greens, hibiscus powder, cactus leaves, pumpkin, green beans, mushrooms, and calcium carbonate--that's it. I feel a lot better giving him this stuff--it has no fillers or chemicals, and he loves it. He also loved the mealworms I gave him last week too, along with the fresh greens from my garden he gets daily.

Fourth update: No shell rot. I was so worried about him sitting in the water for so long, but his plastron is smooth and even with no soft spots or unusual marks of any kind.

Fifth update: We changed his name from Freckles to Pickles. My son decided he wanted to call him Pickles, and now that we've gotten to know him a bit better--it fits!

So, we have a much happier, healthier tort now. More updates to come, I am sure. Thanks again for all the helpful advice and calming words.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Glad to hear that Pickles is settling in.

Status
Not open for further replies.