New enclosure ,separation,Male or Female?

Maria T

Location (City and/or State)
London
Finally I have manged to post pics!!!
So this is the Female first picture (1073) and Male second pic,(1075)

Any ideas suggestiins? Female is bigger, much bigger also quite dark plastron I would say and Male tiny very light color on plastron,

Today they will sleep in different enclosures, I mean for the whole day as yesterday I separated them and he wasn't very happy.. So I put him back with Tina.... Same enclosure, set up only thing is that the enclosure ia smaller, I attached pic too, thanks all for your suggestions!!

Attachments

• DSC_1074.JPG
    DSC_1074.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 56
  • DSC_1075.JPG
    DSC_1075.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 63
  • DSC_1077.JPG
    DSC_1077.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
  • DSC_1075.JPG
    DSC_1075.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 59
  • DSC_1073.JPG
    DSC_1073.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 55

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Seperate them asap. Then build each a proper enclosure of 4x8 foot or larger. If possible build an outdoor enclosure for each too.
Get rid of the puck like gauges you have which are placed too high and get quality digital ones, they are not expensive.
Get rid of the carpet, and replace with coconut coir or orchid bark.
That small of an enclosure can cause muscle damage and digestive issues.
Read the caresheets and make many changes to properly care for them.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Sorry Maria but that viv is too small even for one tort. They need space to roam which is essential for digestion and bone health, so the size Wellington recommended (4 x 8 feet) is what you should be aiming for - each!
Torts are much happier on their own, and there are numerous stories of people who have had sick, injured or even dead torts because they thought their torts didn't want to be alone. So please separate asap. There are plenty of good examples in the enclosures thread and you could adapt 2 second hand book cases as a base or use raised garden beds if you're not good at DIY.
The fake grass will absorb urine and smell and harbour bacteria and needs to be replaced with something like moist (not wet) coco coir with orchid bark - the caresheet will give you options - and deep enough for them to dig in.
We have all made mistakes when we started our but if you follow the caresheet and advice you pick up on TFO then they can be easily rectified without affecting the torts too much.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Many, many people in the UK have "garden" tortoises. Your russian tortoises can live healthy, happy lives outside. Go to the Enclosure section of the Forum and read "Outdoor Accommodations in a Colder (UK) Climate. The author kept a Greek tortoise outside for 40 years. Your russians can be kept like the Greek tortoise. Besides being healthier for the tortoises, it will also be MUCH easier on YOU for them to live outside.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As for him not being happy being separated from the female, that's NOT from lonliness, it's because he's lost the object of his raping. She's probably VERY happy having the rapist out of her territory.

Maria T

London
Sorry Maria but that viv is too small even for one tort. They need space to roam which is essential for digestion and bone health, so the size Wellington recommended (4 x 8 feet) is what you should be aiming for - each!
Torts are much happier on their own, and there are numerous stories of people who have had sick, injured or even dead torts because they thought their torts didn't want to be alone. So please separate asap. There are plenty of good examples in the enclosures thread and you could adapt 2 second hand book cases as a base or use raised garden beds if you're not good at DIY.
The fake grass will absorb urine and smell and harbour bacteria and needs to be replaced with something like moist (not wet) coco coir with orchid bark - the caresheet will give you options - and deep enough for them to dig in.
We have all made mistakes when we started our but if you follow the caresheet and advice you pick up on TFO then they can be easily rectified without affecting the torts too much.
Thank you so they have been separated as per today, the picture I had sent its the small vivarium which I will replace soon as I need to find more space, we are in London and spaces are too small, plus weather here is a nightmare,

Regarding enclosure substrate, I use the reptile carpet as I change it every two days and use proper antibacterial and thorough cleaning with brush, yes it can harbor bacteria, but these Baby torts are too small and to be honest I don't want any chocking, lung issues, this is a vivatium not an open table, where particles can go everywhere, I am trying different options ns to fin the best till they are older. Also every day when weather permitting, they are outside for 4 hours roughly, I do take my work laptop out and keep on eye, patio is clearly out of danger while with them.
They have digital humidity and temperature clock, its outside the enclosure for securiry and lwft the plastic gauge just for color reference for temperature, they have thermostat, UBV and ceramic heater with protection,
To be honest substrate has been my main concer theae 2 last month, I want to change carpet but I am scared, maybe I can try with bigger tortoise as she doesn't eat everything, but tiny one is a nightmare he tries anything.

Does every one have a vivarium with substrate like bark and cocoir with 10 month baby tortoises?

Thanks once more ?

Maria T

London
As for him not being happy being separated from the female, that's NOT from lonliness, it's because he's lost the object of his raping. She's probably VERY happy having the rapist out of her territory.
You made laugh, indeed! Very true, I just need them a little bit bigger for the UK climate... Lately we had plenty of rain and floods.. I am woried about winter though, I have a safe kitchen and the other day I out plenty of old cotton clean rugs on the floor and as oven was on for a couple of hours it was nice, cosy and warm and had a good time moving and pooing around!

Note that one tortoise is 10cm and the other 8 cm roughly so tiny both, but definitely outdoor set up will be the best but not permanent, as we both husband and I work so in a normal situation we both are at the office and my daughter at school all day, potentially from Sep we will still work from home 2 or 3 times a week so great!

Thanks!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you so they have been separated as per today, the picture I had sent its the small vivarium which I will replace soon as I need to find more space, we are in London and spaces are too small, plus weather here is a nightmare,

Regarding enclosure substrate, I use the reptile carpet as I change it every two days and use proper antibacterial and thorough cleaning with brush, yes it can harbor bacteria, but these Baby torts are too small and to be honest I don't want any chocking, lung issues, this is a vivatium not an open table, where particles can go everywhere, I am trying different options ns to fin the best till they are older. Also every day when weather permitting, they are outside for 4 hours roughly, I do take my work laptop out and keep on eye, patio is clearly out of danger while with them.
They have digital humidity and temperature clock, its outside the enclosure for securiry and lwft the plastic gauge just for color reference for temperature, they have thermostat, UBV and ceramic heater with protection,
To be honest substrate has been my main concer theae 2 last month, I want to change carpet but I am scared, maybe I can try with bigger tortoise as she doesn't eat everything, but tiny one is a nightmare he tries anything.

Does every one have a vivarium with substrate like bark and cocoir with 10 month baby tortoises?

Thanks once more ?
The caresheet will tell you all you need to know about the right conditions and equipment for raising healthy torts including diet, substrate, temps humidity etc so read that carefully to get everything right.
The carpet is not recommended for torts by anyone that I know of. Most people use vivs or with substrate for babies and older torts, or large tables with something like portable greenhouses over them to control heat and humidity,

As for letting them wander on the floor - extremely risky! Floor level temp is much lower than the rest of the room so they will get cold, but you also have the risk of them getting stepped on, ingesting fluff/hair which can cause blockages, or small objects, possible injury/illness from any chemicals used and getting crushed in doors or by chairs etc. Dogs and even cats are also other serious hazards for them if you have any.

Torts hate change so it will also be very stressful for them. Keep them in secure enclosures where they can be safe and settled.

Suey

England
Hi just like to say I have two Russians, one Male and one female. They have separate inside and outside enclosures. Their garden enclosures are roughly 9’ by 5’ it’s planted with tortoise weeds , lavender, lavatorial and geranium. When we had lovely hot weather 2 weeks ago my Male was at the hatch waiting to come out , the female wasn’t really bothered and now the weather has cooled off a lot neither of them come out. Do I have to train them to come out. I feel I’ve gone to a lot of trouble and they don’t appreciate it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Thanks once more ?
The info you have read is wrong. Get rid of the carpet. You are likely doing more harm then good. The info you are getting from this forum is all correct and should be followed.