New enclosure question

Cleopatra 2020

Location (City and/or State)
El Mirage. Az
Got her new enclosure setup little over a week now and was wondering if her che should be turned down some temperature wise or if the substrate under it will still be at 95 96 degrees which I'm trying to lower unless she knows better not to be under it new enclosures really large I set the temperature at 86 and it's 83 degrees to 84 degrees in the cooler parts just wondering if turning it down will actually lower the hot spot right under it which is what I'm trying to achieve or should I just leave it and trust her instincts to wannabe in the cooler part of the enclosure? Or should I just move her basking Rock underneath the c h e?20210203_192416.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'm thinking you will have trouble keeping the heat and humidity in with an open top like that. It looks great, but you won't be able to steady the humidity and heat...with that open top

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
I'm thinking you will have trouble keeping the heat and humidity in with an open top like that. It looks great, but you won't be able to steady the humidity and heat...with that open top
It's not an open top and it maintains about 91 to 93% humidity on average and maintains 85° during the day on the sides the middle is where it gets 95 to 96 degrees I just don't want it to dry her out but that's just in a circle area of about a 10 in radius underneath the c h e

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
I wasn't laughing at you I just laughed cause it's not open at all....I mounted everything to the bottom of the plexiglass which sits on a rubber seal....there is water drops all over the left and right side...dry in the middle I'm assuming from warmer temps

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I can’t quite tell, is your CHE on a thermostat? Thats normally how one controls output on a CHE. So, by saying “turning it down” I’m guessing you mean setting the thermostat setting lower. The “probe” on your thermostat is usually located far away from the CHE bulb itself.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
I can’t quite tell, is your CHE on a thermostat? Thats normally how one controls output on a CHE. So, by saying “turning it down” I’m guessing you mean setting the thermostat setting lower. The “probe” on your thermostat is usually located far away from the CHE bulb itself.
Yes I have it on a thermostat but I set it for 86 which at night when all the lights are off it gets down to 83 or 84 on the coldest parts of the inner wall furthest from the Heat and when it's hot in there during the day with all the lights on it gets to about 95-96 in about a 12 inch radius underneath the che.... I guess I could experiment and turn it down to 84 I just don't want it to get too cold at night... I have it set at 85 in her other enclosure sometimes 86 depending on the room temperature never below 72 the house and she's in a closet as well her new enclosure is in a closet also but it's a 6-foot by 6-foot walk-in closet so back to the new one I was thinking about maybe moving her basking Rock under the heat lamp but then that might be a dangerous idea as well if it gets too hot during the day

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Her basking rock should be under her basking light. I would turn down the thermostat maybe 2°. Measure the temp at the cold spot. If it's above 80°, turn the 'stat down 1° at a time til the cold spot is 80° at night.

If you have a hot spot of 95° or so during the day, it's OK. If she was out in the sun she could easily reach that temp. She knows how to get out of it.

Your new enclosure is cool! I love the hanging lid!

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Her basking rock should be under her basking light. I would turn down the thermostat maybe 2°. Measure the temp at the cold spot. If it's above 80°, turn the 'stat down 1° at a time til the cold spot is 80° at night.

If you have a hot spot of 95° or so during the day, it's OK. If she was out in the sun she could easily reach that temp. She knows how to get out of it.

Your new enclosure is cool! I love the hanging lid!
It was expensive but she's going to love it just the tank and the plexiglass ran over $300 then with all the bags are substrate the lighting the Cave the dishes and everything ran a little over 600 total.... she's worth it she'll love it..... just a few more days adjustments it's been almost two weeks now since I fired it up

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes I have it on a thermostat but I set it for 86 which at night when all the lights are off it gets down to 83 or 84 on the coldest parts of the inner wall furthest from the Heat and when it's hot in there during the day with all the lights on it gets to about 95-96 in about a 12 inch radius underneath the che.... I guess I could experiment and turn it down to 84 I just don't want it to get too cold at night... I have it set at 85 in her other enclosure sometimes 86 depending on the room temperature never below 72 the house and she's in a closet as well her new enclosure is in a closet also but it's a 6-foot by 6-foot walk-in closet so back to the new one I was thinking about maybe moving her basking Rock under the heat lamp but then that might be a dangerous idea as well if it gets too hot during the day
I don't think you need to change anything.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
I don't think you need to change anything.
My biggest concern now it is that it's going to be hard to get her out of her cave for her morning soak because I literally would have to pull her cave out of the substrate every time since I have it buried down a good 2 to 3in but at least the good part with that is that I can raise it as she grows but as far as soaking her without taking her cave up I would have to soak her after I get home from work or maybe just have her lights come on earlier to see if she's out before I leave for work.... or maybe I can put a saucer under the c h e to keep the water warm until she decides to come out and soak herself....yes?/no?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My biggest concern now it is that it's going to be hard to get her out of her cave for her morning soak because I literally would have to pull her cave out of the substrate every time since I have it buried down a good 2 to 3in but at least the good part with that is that I can raise it as she grows but as far as soaking her without taking her cave up I would have to soak her after I get home from work or maybe just have her lights come on earlier to see if she's out before I leave for work.... or maybe I can put a saucer under the c h e to keep the water warm until she decides to come out and soak herself....yes?/no?
I'd just catch her when she's out. Daily soaks will hurt nothing, but its not necessary at 500 grams. 3 times a week would be plenty.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
I just put her in there she is totally just checking it out she's over by her new cave right now looking like she's trying to figure a way to climb over it but hasn't made a move yet.....?? also I put her old hide in there in a bigger water dish she's trying to climb up over the Rock right now crazy tort.... now she's walking around doesn't know what to think ... now she's eating16139269963417414241113219538767.jpg....this is awesome!!!
?❤?16139266630982582266270811420160.jpg20210221_095346.jpg2CAA8E8C6B89_1613926527530.png16139268518276971858898262292381.jpg