New Enclosure for "Lizard Boy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ashland, Oregon
I am 90% sure he is a very young Oregon Alligator Lizard (Elgaria multicarinata scincicauda). Also, I have very little idea if he is a boy or girl.
How he came to be living in my room is kind of an odd story.
I actually found him a couple months ago while shopping at the Goodwill in Ashland- they keep all their pet supplies on a table outside, and I was perusing through a tank filled with junk when I almost squished him with a bottle of decloinator. I don't know if he was donated to the goodwill along with the tank, or if he somehow managed to get inside of it while it was there, but he was in really bad shape. It looked like he had just dropped his tail a couple days ago, he was incredibly thin, and freezing cold (it had just snowed for the first time a couple days before). When I first picked him up I thought he was dead for sure, but then he moved!

So, I brought him home, and set him up in a bin, and he ravenously devoured every feeder cricket I offered him. He has grown a lot since then, and has a tail now too!
From what I've been able to find out, they do pretty well in captivity. There seemed to be a lot of variation in set-ups people create for these guys, so I just went for the naturalistic approach. He seems happy :)

lbsnewabode2.jpg

LBsnewabode.jpg

You can see him chilling by his water bowl- he finally came out from the leaves. He has never used a hide, but he does like to burrow in things. He has full spectrum lighting, a temperature gradient, and I keep it pretty moist in there because he mostly drinks off of things instead of from the bowl.
I don't really treat him like a 'pet' pet- I never hold him or anything. He's just so tiny, and I just want him to be happy and healthy. I don't think he would benefit from any socialization. He is fun to watch stalking the crickets, though. He moves like a cat :)

Sooo... he needs a name, but I can't think of one. Any suggestions?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What's wrong with "Lizard Boy" for a name? I like it!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Can you get a close up on him? Kudos to you for saving him!

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
dreadyA said:
Gunther. Haha something random

Btw:Neat lil viv thing. What is it??

That's just a ten gallon! I craigslisted it and got it super cheap. :)

I like Gunther. And I can't call him Lizard Boy because even my fish have real names! I feel bad :rolleyes:

Meg90 said:
Can you get a close up on him? Kudos to you for saving him!

I tried, and he ran away to burrow in his leaves! I'll try again tomorrow at dinner time when he's a bit more adjusted.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
i like lizard boy too...kiiinndaa...but LB for short!
lizardboy just Make's me chuckle

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
I thought he would be much more timid, but he's been exploring his new home a lot! He actually climbed up to the top of his stick, and he's been there for almost half an hour. I'm amazed. In his old tub he used to hide constantly.

lizardboy2.jpg

lizardboy.jpg

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
He is a cutie :) Congrats on your new baby. I like Lizard boy too, I like the sound of it :D

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Make up your mind, Abe! I like Gunther, too.

How cool that he grew his tail back in just two months! It is hard to think of him cold and tailless and starving...he sure looks happy now!:p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I had a childhhood friend named lizard boy he had scales and ate bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.