New Enclosure... But no money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Red Deer, AB
So I got antsy.

Penny had been in a crappy 3' plastic tub for damn near a week. I had her holed up in there to control heat and humidity in order to rehydrate her and give her a little pep. But holy crap I could not look at her in that piece 'o' crap no longer.

I had the original enclosure she had when I got her, in all it's 200lb see through glory... Still in the car. I'll be damned if I lug that crap up the stairs. Sold it to a buddy actually, to start his Fiddler Crab collection. But I needed something bigger. The bank being drained from actually purchasing Penny, and the trip to get her, left me with little options.

So I'm changing my socks one day after work.... And I get to looking at my dresser, and I mean REALLY looking...

2 hours later the drawers are out, the shelves are removed, and I'm left with a 5' x 2.5' mdf box. Realizations of an extra shower curtain in the house provides a liner. With a quick trip to Canadian Tire for some coco coir and husk (75% cheaper than petstores, look into it fellow Canucks!), penny was in her new digs.

Still needs alot of sprucing up, but it is larger, humidified, heated, and has a wonderful 9" x 13" cake pan pond. She seems pretty happy with the new digs, walking around must be a treat.

Now I must find me a dresser. A dresser with more use as a dresser than a terrarium, because the last one didn't make the cut... obviously.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your posts are very entertaining! I had just read the "love is in the air" post, then came to this one. Necessity is the mother of invention, so I've heard! How about a picture or two of Penney's new digs. Sounds great.

Yvonne

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i have been looking at a large wooden box/crate 4x4, sitting in a parking lot. I finally asked the person who knew of it and he said i could have it. it had a divider in the middle, so we cut a few holes, and put it upside down and now have a two sectioned heated tort house for the smaller torts. they can go into the first section or got further back into the heated one. so far so good. and it was FREE!
They used to have a dog house. one room, taller so harder to heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.