New enclosure (36x18 terrarium)

jensem17

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Claw got an upgrade from his bin this weekend. So far he's done a full tour and nibbled every plant at least once.

I sprinkled his fave seeds in the substrate (plaintain, dandelion, kale and clover).

I know I'll have to upgrade as he grows, but I'm really happy with how this looks right now. :)

Attachments

• P_20201003_150716.jpg
    P_20201003_150716.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
  • P_20201003_154030.jpg
    P_20201003_154030.jpg
    963.8 KB · Views: 54
  • P_20201003_152617.jpg
    P_20201003_152617.jpg
    920.4 KB · Views: 54

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
It looks really nice! You've made it very pretty.

Only one problem...laying the UVB tube on top of the screen. Some of the UV goes through, but 50% or more is lost.

How are you maintaining heat and humidity with the open top?

For the UVB, I normally suggest outside sun, but seeing where you live, that won't help for several months.

I'm sure you've seen this pic already, but it would solve the light problem and hold in the humidity and heat. It's going to be more difficult to do that once your furnace starts running. They come in different sizes and styles to choose from. Here's a link to this one...or search "portable greenhouse" on Amazon.20200524_162330.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GOO83UK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

jensem17

Ontario, Canada
It looks really nice! You've made it very pretty.

Only one problem...laying the UVB tube on top of the screen. Some of the UV goes through, but 50% or more is lost.

How are you maintaining heat and humidity with the open top?

For the UVB, I normally suggest outside sun, but seeing where you live, that won't help for several months.

I'm sure you've seen this pic already, but it would solve the light problem and hold in the humidity and heat. It's going to be more difficult to do that once your furnace starts running. They come in different sizes and styles to choose from. Here's a link to this one...or search "portable greenhouse" on Amazon.View attachment 307966

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GOO83UK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
I actually considered getting a larger bin and a row cover like that, but went against it.

The bin I first had set up was in the bottom of a mini greenhouse I already had. Even with the flap open I was getting mould on the substrate and leaves of the plants. That's one of the reasons I went with this style instead of a larger bin and a row cover.

I know the mesh filters out 50% of the UVB and went with the repitsun 10.0 instead of the 5.0 to try and compensate for that. I have a UVB meter ordered and will modify the top if I'm not getting the right uvb/ humidity. Right now humidity and temps are perfect, but like you said our furnace isn't on yet. ☺️

We're still getting some nice days here so Claw is getting outside sun a couple hours a week.

The tank is in our main room where I have a large amount of plants, an aquarium and our geckos. I run a humidifier in the room for the plants in the winter. ?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Great! It sounds like you've got it all covered. I still haven't broken down and bought a solarmeter yet, but some day I'll have to.

I'm curious...what kind of substrate was moulding?

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Looks pretty.
What is the humidity in your tank?
Looks like your tortoise already has a slightly risen spots on his shell. Maybe it’s just how the light shines.

jensem17

Ontario, Canada
Great! It sounds like you've got it all covered. I still haven't broken down and bought a solarmeter yet, but some day I'll have to.

I'm curious...what kind of substrate was moulding?

If I could have him outside for more of the year, I doubt I would have ever bought one. ?

I'm using coco coir with a little cypress mulch mixed in and there's some organic soil from the plants.

The mould was starting on the leaves too, which lead me to belief that some ventilation is necessary. ?
Looks pretty.
What is the humidity in your tank?
Looks like your tortoise already has a slightly risen spots on his shell. Maybe it’s just how the light shines.
he's only 2 months, I had asked in another section about his shell growth but didn't get much feedback. He has grown since I got him, but I don't really know what "normal" looks like yet.

The raised bumps I believe are from the egg and eventually go away? Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong!

Attachments

• P_20201004_105542.jpg
    P_20201004_105542.jpg
    843.8 KB · Views: 21
  • P_20201004_105533.jpg
    P_20201004_105533.jpg
    759.8 KB · Views: 19

AgataP

Seattle, WA
If I could have him outside for more of the year, I doubt I would have ever bought one. ?

I'm using coco coir with a little cypress mulch mixed in and there's some organic soil from the plants.

The mould was starting on the leaves too, which lead me to belief that some ventilation is necessary. ?

he's only 2 months, I had asked in another section about his shell growth but didn't get much feedback. He has grown since I got him, but I don't really know what "normal" looks like yet.

The raised bumps I believe are from the egg and eventually go away? Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong!

Ah what a cutie !!!!
I don’t know enough about him the other image looked like his shell was more “up” where this looks normal.
When I looked at my tortoise one day via my “spy camera” I almost had a heart attack because on the image looked like his shell was all up!!

We are silly worrying so much at times.

jensem17

Ontario, Canada
Ah what a cutie !!!!
I don’t know enough about him the other image looked like his shell was more “up” where this looks normal.
When I looked at my tortoise one day via my “spy camera” I almost had a heart attack because on the image looked like his shell was all up!!

We are silly worrying so much at times.
I agree! But it is hard not too. ???

jensem17

Ontario, Canada
Update. Furnace on required modifcation.

Tinfoil and tin tape to the rescue. And of course, some more plants and a proper pool area.

I put the T5 ZooMed 5.0 tube back in the fixture now that the screen top is not in the way. I had an Arcadia 12% to compensate for the screen.

Attachments

• P_20201029_101127.jpg
    P_20201029_101127.jpg
    850.7 KB · Views: 14
  • P_20201029_101138.jpg
    P_20201029_101138.jpg
    831.8 KB · Views: 14
  • P_20201029_101420.jpg
    P_20201029_101420.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13