New Eastern Hermann on the way- Advice please

Domm

Location (City and/or State)
PA
Yeah, I had a red foot hatchling pass on me a ways back. His heat and humidity were good, gave him the right food, gave him daily warm soaks, and for some reason he just passed. That’s why I’m looking into getting an older tortoise than a hatchling

I'm sorry to hear that, that is very sad! I was uneasy about purchasing the hatchling at first too because of how fragile they are. I'd rather have a well started yearling but i'm hoping for the best. The Tort Stork does have options though i think he has eggs, hatchlings, and adult torts, i'd look into it.

Domm

PA
yeah I’ve heard they have wild caught tortoises. My sister had gotten a Russian from our local PetSmart, she says it’s not very friendly. I told her that they need to interact with it more, and that it could have been a wild caught one. I’m really interested in a Hermanns or Marginated.

100% do NOT buy a tort from petssmart thats why i'm in this situation along with literally hundreds of thousands of people on complaint boards.

I'm not saying here and there you don't get lucky and Pet Smart has a healthy tort, but it's not likely. Mine was at the vet two days after purchasing and passed a month later from improper care on their end.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
100% do NOT buy a tort from petssmart thats why i'm in this situation along with literally hundreds of thousands of people on complaint boards.

I'm not saying here and there you don't get lucky and Pet Smart has a healthy tort, but it's not likely. Mine was at the vet two days after purchasing and passed a month later from improper care on their end.
You hear that @Braeden p

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Exactly. You don't know what you don't know. This place exists to teach people. And people are not going to want to learn from you if you want to rub their noses in everything that they don't know.
They are here for a reason, to learn. I’m not rubbing their “noses”
Just common sense, people who don’t know how to determine if a tortoise healthy we must tell them that said store it’s not a good option, we all know that Petsmart and petco aren’t good stores (well the most of us)

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
They are here for a reason, to learn. I’m not rubbing their “noses”
Just common sense, people who don’t know how to determine if a tortoise healthy we must tell them that said store it’s not a good option, we all know that Petsmart and petco aren’t good stores (well the most of us)
Didnt u buy your sulcata at a pet store?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
thank you so much ! I am going to print these out. From your experience living in the tr-state area all of your turtles are happy and healthy inside? I am mostly worried because I am getting a small hatchling and I know how fragile they are.
While I was living in PA I never had any carapace dwellers.

I'm in Southern CA now, and had one desert tortoise. Unfortunately, he died during brumation this year. He was approx 15 years old. I don't know what happened.

Your baby will do fine there. When he's old enough, he'll be able to spend all summer outside. PA is a good climate for torts.

KronksMom

Illinois
The care of Russians and Hermanns are very similar, so you will definitely be able to reuse a lot of the equipment you already have. Just follow the stickies that Karen posted for you and come here to post any questions you have. I'm so happy you've decided to try again, they're such wonderful animals! I really feel like my guy is my therapist, he just brings me such a sense of calm. Hopefully you can find peace with your new baby as well :)

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Practice what you preach
Did you not read what I posted... I did not know what I was getting myself into when I got my tortoise, many people don’t.
That’s why we are here. The point your trying to make is Irrelevant yes I bought my tortoise from a store, it wasn’t the correct place to buy it. I’m aware of that, but I want other people to know those are bad places to buy Animals from. Now with you're Quote “Practice what you Preach” you should know that i also own a Hermans Tortoise which I purchased from a member here in the Forum.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
I
The wording made it that way and I knew month so ago that pet stores are no time a good place to get torts and you should have considered that I might have known that, and you got your tort from a pet store but the Herman’s from a good breeder with I will get my next tort from a good breeder.
I don’t quite understand what you’re trying to say.