New Eastern box turtle owner

beasy910

So I have recently adopted a box turtle , I had to have her but didn't know how far over my head I was ! I immediately started reading books and everything I could find online about box turtles . I have set up three different indoor habitats before I felt like I had a big enough set up. It's 57in long and 30 in wide . It's plenty deep in the middle for digging. I used organic soil and a organic Pete moss , mixed them up real good and wet it all to make it damp. Then started Putting things in it . Now I have more room , I wondering If I need a bigger water dish . She sure likes to get in the water . She gets it dirty almost every day , so I know she likes it . I feel like maybe she would like to swim a little , I'm not sure. I also did a lot of research of plants . I planted palms , grass, mimosa,ferns, and dracaenas to the inside and I feel safe about those. I read the ficus trees sap was bad for their skin and eyes. So I didn't plant and inside the enclosure . But I put some around the outside of it , but one big one hangs over one side and will drop dry or almost dry green leaves in the enclosure, will that be a problem? I know she won't eat the leaves , she is a picky eater and likes only moving live bugs so far.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Moderator note: If you'd like to comment on the habitat or on box turtle care, beasy910 has another thread here:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/new-box-turtle-owner-habitat-help.132167/

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum! There are many of us here who really love the box turtles!! So you're in good company.

(I've taken the comments about your habitat from this thread and merged them into your other thread in the box turtle section)

Alaskamike

South Florida
Welcome. I have a few EBT's. Mine live outdoors. Very interesting pets and have very different nutrition needs from my other tortoises.

Hope all goes well for you :)

beasy910

Welcome. I have a few EBT's. Mine live outdoors. Very interesting pets and have very different nutrition needs from my other tortoises.

Hope all goes well for you :)
Thank you mike ! Yeah she is a picky eater , I have to dip her insects in powders to get her vitamins ,she isn't interested in any of the veggies or fruit I've tried .

beasy910

Welcome to the Forum! There are many of us here who really love the box turtles!! So you're in good company.

(I've taken the comments about your habitat from this thread and merged them into your other thread in the box turtle section)
Thanks ! I'm really glad I found this site !

Alaskamike

South Florida
I found my EBT's prefer live bugs too. One thing they will eat is Mazuri. I mix my tortoise mazuri with some crocodilian mazuri & wet it. They eat it. Sometimes I chop up boiled egg in it - she'll & all. Sometimes greens too.