New comer with some questions :)

booyin

Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Hello all,

I've been lurking on this site for a couple of months since I got my baby Sulcata Blue. I've decided to register and join the community. You've all helped me a lot so far - more than you know- so I'm hoping you guys can help me out again.

I've been trying to maintain the humidity in Blue's enclosure for quite sometime now, but I realize I need to invest in a humidifier. I've tried to spray the enclosure to keep the coir moist, but it only stays like that for a little while until it dries again. I'm worried he's not getting enough humidity in his hide, or if it's even humid in there. I've just purchased a hygrometer which I have to set up tonight.

I'm looking into buying a Crane humidifier on Amazon as I need something that's preferably under $50.

- Once I have the humidifier, how would I set it up? Would I attached a hose to any side of the enclosure and let it do it's thing? I've tried looking up videos on YouTube but I can't find anything.

- What should the humidity level be like in his enclosure?

- Do I need to close the top? I keep my tank open most of the time but when I spray it down, I put the cover back on. The cover slides on and off and has a screen so I don't think it works.

I appreciate everyone's responses. Also, if there's anything else I should be aware of, please let me know.

P.S.

Meet Blue :)

IMG_20160518_110615_01.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Your problem isn't one that requires a humidifier, it just needs a wetter substrate and a cover over the habitat. You can rig up some sort of framework and drape plastic over the frame. This is an easy fix. Once the framework is in place, you can hang your lights/heat from it.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
The pic you posted, is that your torts enclosure? Or just the outside "play" area?
Pics of your enclosure will help, then we can see what will be easiest for you to rig up.
I agree with Yvonne though, definitely getting something to cover your enclosure will lock in your humidity and get the percentage up to where it's supposed to be.

booyin

SoCal
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Your problem isn't one that requires a humidifier, it just needs a wetter substrate and a cover over the habitat. You can rig up some sort of framework and drape plastic over the frame. This is an easy fix. Once the framework is in place, you can hang your lights/heat from it.

Do you have a pic as an example? I've also read that some people use foil, would that work too?

The pic you posted, is that your torts enclosure? Or just the outside "play" area?
Pics of your enclosure will help, then we can see what will be easiest for you to rig up.
I agree with Yvonne though, definitely getting something to cover your enclosure will lock in your humidity and get the percentage up to where it's supposed to be.

No this isn't his enclosure haha this is just his play area with plants grown especially for him.

https://imgur.com/T9WVc3D

This is what it looked like a couple of months ago. I got rid of the sand a week or so after putting it in, so now it's just coconut coir. It looks a bit different now but I don't have any recent pics on me. This is just a tank I purchased from my local reptile shop.

Thanks for your responses :)

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Do you have a water dish in his enclosure?
You can probably take a piece of plywood or plexiglass and cut it to fit the top of your enclosure. With holes for the lights of course.
But I think your enclosure might be a little small for your tort. ;)

booyin

SoCal
Do you have a water dish in his enclosure?
You can probably take a piece of plywood or plexiglass and cut it to fit the top of your enclosure. With holes for the lights of course.
But I think your enclosure might be a little small for your tort. ;)

Now he has a water dish and a food dish side by side. That sounds like it would be a great weekend project!

Is it really? I've been thinking of making a tabletop enclosure, but I thought he was too small for that. How big would you recommend?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

booyin

SoCal
I agree with Yvonne. Instead of continually trying to replace escaping humidity, simply trap it in there. Make a closed chamber.

Check these out for more help and explanation:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Awesome, really informative. Thank you for putting so much time into this!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I put plastic over the screened top on one side , and tin foil on the side with my lights . As you can see by the moisture on the glass it worked well . It stayed between 80 and 90 % humidity with water added to bedding as needed ! ;)

humid tank.jpg

booyin

SoCal
I put plastic over the screened top on one side , and tin foil on the side with my lights . As you can see by the moisture on the glass it worked well . It stayed between 80 and 90 % humidity with water added to bedding as needed ! ;)

View attachment 174858

Wow, looks great. So you put the foil over the lights? I have my lights hanging from a tripod over the enclosure as a DIY lamp fixture. Would it be better if I just put the light dome on the screen?

It's the Zoo Med Combo Deep Dual lamp.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Wow, looks great. So you put the foil over the lights? I have my lights hanging from a tripod over the enclosure as a DIY lamp fixture. Would it be better if I just put the light dome on the screen?

It's the Zoo Med Combo Deep Dual lamp.

No , I cut a square hole in the screen , so the light could sit lower . I also took the dome off and lowered my CHE into the tank , which raised the heat in the bottom , where the tort lives . For the light yes , the dome sits right on the screen .

booyin

SoCal
Do you have pictures of your closed top as well as how your light is set up?

In July when I move, I'm going to make a larger enclosure for Blue out of a 6' x 2' bookcase. The depth when it's on it's side is anywhere from 9"-12". Is that deep enough for me to cover it with something like plexiglass?

Here is what you need for outside time ! ;)

View attachment 174861

That looks fun, is that a kiddie pool? Haha

phebe121

This would help and a fogger or misting the soil alot

Attachments

• cd899ef5-31c2-4651-92c9-8ec71e838a1e_300.jpg
    cd899ef5-31c2-4651-92c9-8ec71e838a1e_300.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 17

booyin

SoCal
This would help and a fogger or misting the soil alot

I thought of making a similar cover, except with plexiglass and a small hold at the peak where I can feed my light's wire, letting the dome hang at the top.

This looks like a greenhouse, correct?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Yes it is a kiddy pool ! I will need to look for pics , but it is a 60 gal long tank and has 2 sliding screen lids , 1 I covered with plastic , and one with foil which I cut a square out of the screen in the center , the dome sits on the foil covered screen ! If the bookcase is only that high you will need some sort of tent structure over it . Don't forget to line it with plastic to retain moisture !

booyin

SoCal
Yes it is a kiddy pool ! I will need to look for pics , but it is a 60 gal long tank and has 2 sliding screen lids , 1 I covered with plastic , and one with foil which I cut a square out of the screen in the center , the dome sits on the foil covered screen ! If the bookcase is only that high you will need some sort of tent structure over it . Don't forget to line it with plastic to retain moisture !

What kind of plastic do you use to cover the one side?

phebe121

I thought of making a similar cover, except with plexiglass and a small hold at the peak where I can feed my light's wire, letting the dome hang at the top.

This looks like a greenhouse, correct?

Yes its .a cold fram green house I got from home depot

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
What kind of plastic do you use to cover the one side?
It was just something I had laying around , maybe the kind of stuff they use to make plastic "storm windows" ! It doesn't need to be thick because the screen supports it . If you didn't care about seeing through it , you could buy a shower curtain at the Dollar Store , or I think Walmart even has clear ones 1

Squirts

Fontana ca
I was reading your guyses thread and I had a question about the foil to keep the humidity high. Do you cut a hole in the foils to the light could hit directly down to the bottom or do you set the light on top of the foil? I'm just afraid of something burning either the plastic or the foil.