New Chersina Hatchling

Sterant

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albany, NY
This is the forth now that has hatched using the same incubation strategy - starting to think its a reasonable method to adopt as standard. That is :

1. Burying the egg 1" deep in the actual nesting dirt used by the female (urine soaked), in a small tupperware container with the top on.
  2. Humidity in the container kept at or near 100% the entire length of incubation.
  3. Incubating at 85f during the day with a drop to 70f at night. (I do this in my tortoise room rather than an incubator as that is the daily temp swing I use in the room).
  4. Brush the dirt off the top of the egg at 45 days and candle in place. At this point a fertile egg will show some blood vessels developing. Rebury the egg after candling.
  5. Excavate the egg and sand the top of the egg thoroughly at 90 days incubation using 200 grit sand paper. From this point on I leave the egg only half way buried in the dirt with the sanded top exposed.
  6. eggs pip between 125 and 135 days.
Dan

chersina 4 (2).jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This is the forth now that has hatched using the same incubation strategy - starting to think its a reasonable method to adopt as standard. That is :

1. Burying the egg 1" deep in the actual nesting dirt used by the female (urine soaked), in a small tupperware container with the top on.
  2. Humidity in the container kept at or near 100% the entire length of incubation.
  3. Incubating at 85f during the day with a drop to 70f at night. (I do this in my tortoise room rather than an incubator as that is the daily temp swing I use in the room).
  4. Brush the dirt off the top of the egg at 45 days and candle in place. At this point a fertile egg will show some blood vessels developing. Rebury the egg after candling.
  5. Excavate the egg and sand the top of the egg thoroughly at 90 days incubation using 200 grit sand paper. From this point on I leave the egg only half way buried in the dirt with the sanded top exposed.
  6. eggs pip between 125 and 135 days.
Dan

View attachment 304468
This info is priceless. Thanks so much Dan. And another hearty "congratulations" on your success!