new Cherryhead...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anastasia

5 Year Member
Brought home this little one today. I am told she's a female Cherryhead (I assume temp sexed, so won't hold this as truth yet...) and 3 months old. I'm told she had a rocky start but is doing much better now.

I just brought her home today and naturally she's just hiding in the corner of her new cage so far, although when I set her in the grass for a photo right when we got home, she nibbled on a dandelion leaf!

The person I got her from said she mists her every hour. I am keeping her in a humid cage, and have gotten her some sphagnum moss to keep moist and put in one corner. Do I need to really mist her that often?

Are there other food items redfoots need (that vary from the African or Mediterranean torts that I currently have)?
20130904_1019030_resized_zpsf4cbf679.jpg

20130904_101830_resized_zps68d80e8c.jpg

20130904_101842_resized_zpscb010b78.jpg

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
What a beautiful baby. Keep that humidity up and her shell will be gloriously smooth. My Zebulun didn't have the humidity high at the start of things so a little pyramiding did happen. But he is doing better now. good luck and keep posting pics.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Oh, she's beautiful! Why did she have a rocky start? What was going on?

If you're keeping it really humid in her enclosure, I wouldn't think that you need to mist her every hour...maybe a few times a day?

I agree that it's great she got a humid start. I notice a big difference in my hatchlings / yearlings from the two that had a dry start (before I got them), and the ones that were started humid....the humid ones are so much smoother.

Have fun with your little one.

Anastasia

5 Year Member
She didn't really explain too much, just said the first owners didn't know any of the care requirements and that it took her a lot of work to get her eating/she was very low on energy when she took her in, and that the little one had really milky eyes for a long time, as well.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
I mist my Reds 2-3x a day, I keep the humidity high constantly by adding water to the substrate and mixing then misting the top lightly every morning(you don't want the substrate to be soaked but moist), and then later in the day I will spray just the torts, as mine seem to enjoy the mist.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Anastasia said:
She didn't really explain too much, just said the first owners didn't know any of the care requirements and that it took her a lot of work to get her eating/she was very low on energy when she took her in, and that the little one had really milky eyes for a long time, as well.

Well I glad she's doing well now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.