New cherry head tortoises' mom from Malaysia

WonderKitteh

Hello.
I have recently purchased 2 cherry head red footed tortoises for my 9 year-old daughter a day ago. We have been researching since January this year. We bought the enclosure, lighting substrates etc a month or two before we got the tortoises to prepare for good healthy tortoises.

Ours are baby cherry heads, about 3.5 inches. We prefer adults or juveniles but we could only get babies, which are as I have read more fragile. They are really adorable.

Anyway, I'd just like to introduce myself and the babies and to get output from people out there.

We are from Putrajaya, Malaysia. The temperature is between 30 - 35 °C all year round, humid tropical weather. We have a garden and as the tortoises grow up we will do an outdoor enclosure for them. For now though, it's an indoor enclosure. The one for guinea pigs and rabbits 40 × 65 cm with 40 height from floor to the top mesh. We choose this enclosure because:
- it is big enough for the babies to roam about - for the time being
- secure enough so our curious cat wouldn't think it's her litter box or 'make friends' with the babies hehe
- humidity is not a problem as it is about 80 - 85 % in the enclosure
- light enough for my daughter to carry outdoor for the babies to get some morning sun and in again (afternoon sun is a bit intense here)

Apart from the enclosure, the set up is as follows:
1. Lighting: ExoTerra Reptile UVB 150, 13 W and Exoterra Intense Basking Spot 50 W (we switched off the basking light this afternoon as temperature reached 35°C and the tortoises ran for cover.) We will switch it on if the temperature is lower than 28°C. The lights are placed directly over the top of the enclosure.
2. Substrates: coco coir husk and damp sphagnum moss on top and in the hidey holes
3. There are 1 shallow water bowl, 3 pots used as hidey holes, plastic platform (plant pot plate turned upside down) for food and a plastic covering over a third of the enclosure to give them shade and increase humidity.
4. Parameters: Temperature 30 - 32°C day and night (without basking light) Humidity 80 - 85% - we misted the tortoises once today.
5. Food: yesterday those red curly lettuce, today - mulberry leaves. We will be giving a mixture of greens, vegetables and fruits. Mazuri tortoise pellets and a bit of chicken bits or shrimp will also be available. Repashy Superveggie All-in-one with calcium carbonate powder to mix on with the greens, vegetables and fruits.
6. Forced hydration was done yesterday, with very shallow baby warm water for 20 minutes in a container.
7. Other things to do: find a flat slate or blunt terra cotta pieces for filing and to add texture and a variety of terrain. Plant some edible and tortoise safe plants in the enclosure to make it more presentable and to provide shade. Oh and go to the vet for check-up next week.

The plastic covering is ugly but necessary in my opinion for shade and to increase humidity until I can plant something that can cover a third of the enclosure (any idea what kind of plants or any other alternative?)

Some questions while I'm here:
1. How often would you give the pellets and protein based food for baby cherry head tortoises?
2. If the tortoises received morning sun for about 1 - 3 hours in a mixture of shaded and sunny spots outside (temp of 30-35C), do I still need to swith on the UVB when they are brought indoor? (Planning to do this at least on 3 - 5 times a week).
3. Is the basking light necessary if the temperature is constant? They do not like harsh lighting.

I apologize for the long post. My first time keeping tortoises :) I'd rather be making mistakes now than regretting it later. I have some pictures. Can't seem to attach it.

Thank you so much in advance.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

I'm no expert on cherry heads so I will leave most comments to the experts.

But! Is that a high sided water bowl I see in there? Perhaps purchased from a petstore as a "reptile" water bowl? High sided bowls are okay for lizards, but not for tortoises, which can't bend their bodies down to easily get a drink or soak themselves.

If so, find a cheap, shallow teracotta saucer or equivalent (not sure what you can get where you are) and sink it level with the substrate; basically so your tortoises can walk right into it.

If it's not a high sided bowl, my apologies! I can't quite tell from he picture.

WonderKitteh

Hello everyone. You're right Rosemary. Thanks for pointing that out to me. I'll get a teacup saucer while searching for a terracota one. Thank you :)

AmberD

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Hello and welcome! You are so lucky to have such natural weather parameters for your little ones. Sounds like you are well on your way with all of your research, enjoy your new additions! I have an almost 6 month old redfoot, they are so personable :)

WonderKitteh

Hi Amber. Thank you. There's still much to learn. And yes, very personable. Really fun to watch them scuttling about :)