New changes to outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabfourgirl1964

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I made some changes to my outdoor enclosure for my Russian Tortoise.
I had to switch the way the left lid opens, because it hit the pillar in the fence and I couldn't prop it open all the way. By removing the hinges in the back to the left side, I can open it all the way to the left. I ran into another problem though. There was nothing holding it open, so I put 4 more bricks underneath the hinges so that it rests on them when opened! I had one problem with the right lid as it opens from front to back and leans again the back fence. No problem there!
With the hot weather coming, I needed a way to make some shade, so I bought some sun screen fabric and doubled it over to make a 4 x 4 square foot piece. I then sewed up the sides but left a margin where I can put two pvc pipes through it. I thought the wind might blow it off, so instead I use two plant stakes which I am able to put the ends through the plastic fencing on top the lids! It holds in place where ever I put it!
I used plastic fencing instead of hardware fabric because my Russian Tortoise will only be out during the day and not nights! I planted some edible plants and flowers. Some from seed which hasn't grow yet.
I used Ace top soil (sandy loam and humus) no chemicals! I also used Phagnum peat moss and eco earth natural bark. I will attached photos.
IMG_0051.jpgIMG_0052.jpgIMG_0055.jpgIMG_0056.jpgIMG_0061.jpgIMG_0054.jpgIMG_0058.jpgIMG_0059.jpgIMG_0066.jpgIMG_0053.jpgIMG_0065.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
This took a lot of thought and planning. It looks great! I like the safety locks too. How long do you think your tort will utilize this enclosure?

fabfourgirl1964

5 Year Member
California
I've aready had him in it on warm days. He's always looking for a way out or he hids in one of the pots. I guess that's a Russian Tortoise for ya. They are escape artists. It makes me feel like he doesn't like it!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Give him time. Being outside is new to him, different.
That is really nice and well thought out. I like the shade cloth, removable.
Russians really like to test the perimeters, lol.
Remind us of what the overall dimensions are?

fabfourgirl1964

5 Year Member
California
It's 6 x 8 ft. and 18 inches in height. I have rock and thick landscaping plastic underneath the dirt with rock and brick around all sides!

Status
Not open for further replies.