New Caretaker for Sulcata Animal Ambassador

Lizen.hayes

Location (City and/or State)
Johns Creek
Hello Friends!

I am the new caretaker for several animals at a very small non-profit nature preserve. Our main animal ambassador is a 17-18-year-old Sulcata Tortoise named Pebbles. This is my first time taking care of a tortoise and I want to make sure I am doing right by Pebbles. I seem to have inherited some inaccurate information when it comes to his care and a local Tortoise enthusiast and community member suggested I come here. I have been combing through the forums and have found various answers regarding 'Soaking" and access to water. Pebbles has a large outside yard for the warm humid spring, summer and fall's in Georgia and access to an indoor enclosure all year round. Currently, there is no access to a soaking pool, should this be something I have built into his outdoor and or indoor enclosure? Additionally, I was reading about pneumonia and tortoises, is this something I should worry about during the daily summer downpours? The current policy is to bring him inside during rains as there is a fear he will catch pneumonia. And last, I have seen some information about access to running water vs standing water and tap water vs bottled or filtered water. If someone would like to link me to relevant articles I would be very thankful. I will continue to search for my answers as well :) Thank you for being a great resource!

Lizen

10410144_10152126337750671_2508542842792759935_n.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oh he's awesome. Yes, he needs a 'soaking' pool. They drink with their nose and mouth under water. Mine drink out of a large plant pot saucer, they put nose, mouth and eyes under the water. Tortoises need more water then most people believe, they just also just like to soak and nap. Then they will soak up moisture thru their cloaca. Where the heck is John's Creek? If the summer rain is warm, weather is over 75 they like the rain. He is also old enuf and big enuf to take himself in when needed

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oh he's awesome. Yes, he needs a 'soaking' pool. They drink with their nose and mouth under water. Mine drink out of a large plant pot saucer, they put nose, mouth and eyes under the water. Tortoises need more water then most people believe, they just also just like to soak and nap. Then they will soak up moisture thru their cloaca. Where the heck is John's Creek? If the summer rain is warm, weather is over 75 they like the rain. He is also old enuf and big enuf to take himself in when needed
Is there any kind of artificial warmth for him? How cool does it get at night?

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Welcome! Read this care sheet...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Welcome! Read this care sheet...
I should have thought of that...good going!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lizen, and welcome!

Lizen.hayes

Johns Creek
Is there any kind of artificial warmth for him? How cool does it get at night?
He does have heat lamps available to him in his indoor enclosure. The temperature in the building during the summer and fall is about 75 Degrees F. He spends most of his days outside in about 85-90 degree weather.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Welcome, from a neighbor in Gwinnett.