New Box Turtle - Some Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
A gal from our church came into the antique shop my wife was working at today and after some chit chat, she asked my wife if she wanted a cat. "Ah, no" was her answer. Then she asked, "How about a turtle?" My wife picked up the phone to call me, asking me out of mere formality if I wanted it. "Ah, yeah" was my answer.

I just got home and what I think I have here is a female Western Box Turtle. The gal I got her from is a teacher and had it in the classroom for a pet. She's had her for about five years, and got her from a guy who said he rescued her from an abused home. He told her she was four years old back then, so she's about nine year's old now. (You can see some shell damage. Looks as if a dog got a hold of her.) She has been keeping the turtle in a large dog kennel with a hide and large water bowl. She says that she has only ever fed her lettuce. She cannot keep it at the school any longer, and her kids don't pay any attention to her anymore, so she wanted to find a good home for her.

I've got her in a temporary home right now. I am going to be building stacked tortoise tables (bunk-beds), where this gal will live eventually.

I currently own a 2 year old sulcata (Petunia) and a 2-3 year old Russian (Daisy). This is my first boxie. Her name - in keeping with the flower theme - is Marigold, or "Goldie" for short.

IMG_1351.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

Now I'm thinking a 3-Toed?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
She's lovely - but she's a three toed box turtle. If at all possible, try to build her an outdoor enclosure. They do so much better outside. Looks like she's has a hard life - poor thing. I love the name Marigold - she even looks like one! :)

M

Maggie Cummings

She is just beautiful! Look at that beautiful face and those vivid red eyes. Look out!!! I am hoping you keep her. Does she have 3 toes? She looks like a 3-toed to me. But box turtles like to confuse you as not all 3-toed have just 3 toes...her one back foot looks like just 3 toes tho. Anyway, no matter what sub species she is, she's a beautiful turtle and deserves a great home!!!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Great boxie. Her nails look a little long, but she's beautiful. Try feeding her on a flat piece of slate or flat rock to trim down her beak a little.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Yes, I'm getting her a flat rock for feeing and got her a cuddlebone. What I'm wondering is whether or not it will be a challenge to introduce protein into this girl's diet. I'm shocked to hear that she has lived on lettuce for the past five years! I gave her a small veggi medley with mixed greens, shredded carrot, zuccini squash, parsley, and mustard greens. I gave her about a 1/4 of a cup, but she didn't eat too much. I bought some diet canned dog food and meal worms for a little later...

Tonight she got a REAL bath with a toothbrush cleaning all over! (Don't tell my wife I used her brush!) :)

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Congratulations on your new addition! Those nails look really long, but I know they need them for digging. Have fun with her.

chadk

10 Year Member!
I don't think switching or adding protein will be a problem. Mine all love slugs and snails. Also worms, cooked chicken, raw or cooked fish, etc, and some were raised like yours.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
chadk said:
I don't think switching or adding protein will be a problem. Mine all love slugs and snails. Also worms, cooked chicken, raw or cooked fish, etc, and some were raised like yours.

That's good to hear - thanks!

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Yeah, protein is no problem for her. She LOVES the low-fat dog food, and ate strawberries out of my hands last week. She is doing very well and even greets me in the morning when I am feeing the tortoises (with their enclosures in the same room). She is a lot of fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.