New box turtle owner

Angel Carrion

Location (City and/or State)
Douglassville, PA
Sorry if I don't quite understand, how could the sides of what I have be trouble? We rounded them off to have no square or sharp edges to them.
Because they're too steep and pose a tipping hazard when she is climbing in or out. She could flip over and drown in it, or if she fell outside she could be unable to flip herself back over and dehydrate in the heat of the basking light and die.

talkin2rob

Central Ohio
Because they're too steep and pose a tipping hazard when she is climbing in or out. She could flip over and drown in it, or if she fell outside she could be unable to flip herself back over and dehydrate in the heat of the basking light and die.
Oh, ok. I see what you mean.
The opening where she enters and exits is only about an inch and a half tall. It cannot be tipped over because we added a secure base to it. But the backside is a little high. I'll correct that tomoro.
Thanks for clarifying

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Oh, ok. I see what you mean.
The opening where she enters and exits is only about an inch and a half tall. It cannot be tipped over because we added a secure base to it. But the backside is a little high. I'll correct that tomoro.
Thanks for clarifying
Oh no I don't mean the water dish may tip, I mean SHE may flip trying to climb in and out.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Eastern box turtles usually come from forest or wooded area's. The sunlight they get is filtered through the trees. They need a warm, moist enclosure with low light and plenty of leaf litter deep enough to dig into and hide. Lots of plants will ensure high humidity. All my box turtles live outside, except one rescue that can't close his shell, so can't hibernate outside, and one two year old that is still to small to go out in the turtle garden. So these guys are inside for the Winter. The rescue is in a 55 gal breeder tank with a Ceramic Heat emitter (60 wt. and a long tube 5.0 UVB. The UVB gets turned off at night. The heat emitter is on one side and stays on 24/7. I keep my house pretty cool in the Winter because I hate heat, so I have to keep the CHE on all the time for both turtles. They are outside all Summer and only come in for the Winter months. Nice size water dish so they can climb in to soak or drink, a flat piece of slate to eat and keep their beak short, a piece of cuttle bone for some calcium. All my turtles get fed every day now, so they will be a good weight for hibernation. They get a mix each day of veggies, greens, fruit, cooked sweet potato, carrots, and ground venison....wellness venison and sweet potato, if I don't have fresh ground. And some turtle brittle. They get different things in the mix every week. In the afternoon they get worms or some buggie thing. In the Winter the inside turtles only get fed three times a week and when they show down for a few weeks I don't feed them until the come out to eat. Just how I do things....not written in stone. Everyone does things differently.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Many people say that glass tanks are not acceptable for turtles. I have been using them for any humidity loving species, (my Cherry Head's too) for over 30 years with great results. My Father also used them way before I did. As long as the tank is large enough, I like it especially for hatchlings and juveniles who can't go outside yet, because not only does it hold humidity well, it lets you interact with them. When my box turtles are old enough to go out in the garden, they are very friendly and have no fear of humans, as everyone stops to say hello to them as they pass by the vivariums. The best site to learn about box turtles (especially babies) is TurtleTails.com, IMO. I love that site. It has plenty of pictures too. Anyway, just how I do things.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I like Tess Cook's box turtle site.

Do let the night time temps drop to around 60 when possible. Don't heat the habitat at night unless the ambient temperature is lower than that.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Yes, I have Tess Cook's books. I love them too. I started to make my weekly mix because of her advice a long time ago. I keep my house at 63 at night, or I can't sleep, so that's why I don't turn off the CHE. Poor babies would freeze.

talkin2rob

Central Ohio
Thank you all for the advice, tips, and help. I will be making some changes in Tara's feedings and home to help keep her happy and healthy.