New bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
Well, I recently got a bearded dragon. I had one when I was a kid, and he lived to be about 8 years old I think. I always wanted to get another and finally I did!

I do have a question though. Right now, his basking spot is at 100-110 F (it's usually around 105 F, but temps fluctuate some). I am using a 60w house bulb for basking, and have a 48 inch ReptiSun 10.0 for UVB.

I am really looking at getting a MVB, but am unsure on the wattage. Are mercury vapors typically hotter or cooler than the same wattage regular old basking/house bulb?

As in, is a 100w MVB hotter or cooler than a 100w house bulb/basking bulb give or take, when at the same distance. Or the same?

Here's the enclosure (work in progress). I want to improve his hides a bit. It's 4x1.5 ft and 22 inches tall. The basking spot is 14 inches from the top.
000_0007-5.jpg

The basking light is not going through a screen or anything. I was thinking of getting a 100w MVB, just to be on the safe side. As I can always adjust his basking side if needed.

And here he is. He's about 2 months old, and an italian leatherback x hypo pastel.
000_0006-6.jpg

Loves his driftwood (which I personally found, power washed and cleaned months ago). I had, had them for my basilisk, but ran out of room in their enclosure.
000_0020-1.jpg

Pictures don't really do him justice, the oranges and yellows are very bright.
000_0016-1.jpg

Anyways thanks again!

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Very Nice looking beard. I used to have them two lol...I dont know much about MVB bulbs...Sorry :(

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I do not own a bearded dragon so I can't help you but I just wanted to tell you congratulations :) Your little one is super cute!

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Thanks guys. He is really easy to handle too.

I contacted bigappleherp about their MVB sizes and told them I get the right basking temps with a 60w house bulb. They recommended the 100w MVB.

So I guess MVBs do not get as hot as the same wattage house bulb if that's the case.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I always wanted a bearded dragon. He is beautiful :)

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
All I know about MVBs vs incandescents, temp-wise, is that my beardie's MVB definitely doesn't get as hot as a same-wattage incandescent. Neat to hear my "findings" are consistent with Big Apple Herp's recommendation, lol.

Congrats on the new addition! Beardies are really wonderful. And he's so adorable, too. Thanks for sharing! :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Gorgeous little guy :) I have an adult male hypo pastel, so I know exactly what you mean about the colors. Mine is bright orange and yellow with violet stripes on his sides, and a paler tail, just like yours. It makes me so mad I can't get a good picture. And remember, the color only gets BETTER with each shed ;)

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
kyryah said:
Gorgeous little guy :) I have an adult male hypo pastel, so I know exactly what you mean about the colors. Mine is bright orange and yellow with violet stripes on his sides, and a paler tail, just like yours. It makes me so mad I can't get a good picture. And remember, the color only gets BETTER with each shed ;)

Thanks guys! His tail is actually shedding haha. I got him last friday (so a week tomorrow) and his tail was shedding when I went to pick him up.

He gets so excited when I feed him it cracks me up. And he only eats crickets and superworms if they are moving. If a cricket stops, he stops running after it. Quite funny.

I'll have some dubia roaches coming next week from Tom, so in a few months he'll be eating those.

Floof - I am hoping this is the case. I think i'm going to go with a 100w, and if needed just change up his basking area. Still not sure what brand yet with MegaRay and T-rex out of the question for now.

It would seem PowerSuns have reported eye issues, the Sun force bulb has a very poor rating once its been in use for a bit.

Really wish I had a solar meter!

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
FWIW, Seiryu, I had to get a Powersun for my beardie boy because I wasn't able to find MegaRay or T-Rex on short notice. I had it over the male for 6 months (give or take) with no issues, and a little over a month ago had to move it over my girls due to some cage shuffling. I have seen no evidence of eye issues in any of the animals exposed to it since I originally purchased it in March. In other words, so far so good, at least with my bulb.

I believe I've seen a TFO member or two refer to Powersun as the "next best thing" in light of MegaRay and T-Rex being hard to acquire lately... I could be mistaken on that, though.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Floof said:
FWIW, Seiryu, I had to get a Powersun for my beardie boy because I wasn't able to find MegaRay or T-Rex on short notice. I had it over the male for 6 months (give or take) with no issues, and a little over a month ago had to move it over my girls due to some cage shuffling. I have seen no evidence of eye issues in any of the animals exposed to it since I originally purchased it in March. In other words, so far so good, at least with my bulb.

I believe I've seen a TFO member or two refer to Powersun as the "next best thing" in light of MegaRay and T-Rex being hard to acquire lately... I could be mistaken on that, though.

Thanks for this! I honestly have never heard of PowerSuns causing issues myself, until joining beardeddragon.org

And from reading posts there it doesn't surprise my people have issues with some MVBs. I almost bet some of the cases are from people sticking the bulb too close because it wasn't getting hot enough at the recommended distance, and their reptiles were absorbing way more UV rays than normal.

PowerSuns are so pricey compared to everything else. I really wish I had a UV meter to test those new Sun force bulbs.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
That wouldn't surprise me in the least. It seems the folks there are a little less "up-to-date" on the proper use of an MVB; probably still stuck in the mindset that a UVB bulb has to be within 12 inches to have an effect... Even though people here on Tortoise Forum seem to know well that rule only applies to fluorescents, and that MVBs are actually the opposite to avoid causing eye damage...

Status
Not open for further replies.