New baby salcata tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Wentzville
So I recently got my first baby tortoise after doing lots of research and finally found some babys. I asked the person who was selling what stuff they used and recommend for them and she told me to get a certain bedding after buying I wanted to be safe a look up if it was toxic or not and to my surprise is was. I asked her about water bowls ect. and she said no waters ever and after all my research I found that you are supposed to have water bowls for these guys. I'm a little confused, can someone help me out?

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
So I recently got my first baby tortoise after doing lots of research and finally found some babys. I asked the person who was selling what stuff they used and recommend for them and she told me to get a certain bedding after buying I wanted to be safe a look up if it was toxic or not and to my surprise is was. I asked her about water bowls ect. and she said no waters ever and after all my research I found that you are supposed to have water bowls for these guys. I'm a little confused, can someone help me out?
Hello and welcome, you have come to the right place for information. I'm sure Tom will give you all the correct information you need as soon as he sees this post.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Did you already buy from that breeder? If yes, just be prepared that your baby might not survive. Try your best. Some survive the dry routine and some don't. No amount of money or vet care can change this. Here is an explanation of what happens with the dry routine:

By contrast, here is how babies SHOULD be started:

Here is the correct care info to give your baby the best chance at survival:

Read these threads and then come back with all your questions. Its a lot to take in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sounds like you bought your new baby sulcata from someone who has jumped on the let's-get-a-pair-of-sulcatas-and-make-some-easy-money bandwagon. They know nothing about raising baby sulcatas and have given you bad advice. Don't pay attention to anything they told you. Here's a link to a wonderful care sheet and gives you what you need to know to raise a healthy baby sulcata: