New baby Russian and feeling OVERWHELMED!

rbcurdt

Location (City and/or State)
St. Louis, MO
Hello all. I have been silently reading and researching on this forum for months, and we got our captive bred baby Russian last week. As much as I thought we were prepared, this all seems very overwhelming for such a small pet!
I'm going to add pics of our enclosure and ask a few questions if that is alright.

He sleeps most of the day, mostly in the light. Is this okay? I'm chalking some of it up to the journey he took to our home and getting used to his setup.

He barely ate, and didn't poop for 5 days after arrival. (We've had him one week). I did call the breeder and she thought maybe he was being picky to the food I was offering (kale, radiccio, turnip greens) and suggested I try something "sweeter" (dandelion greens & dark romaine) to see if he warms up to that. He finally ate a good bit Sunday night, and pooped! Yesterday, only two small leaves. (Like maybe a square inch total)

His enclosure is a "under the bed box" base with a wooden box built around it. Substrate is coir. Using Powersun 100w bulb, that up until today was getting 95 temps in the basking spot, and lower 70's in the cool. Today, though, I cant seem to get anything but mid 80's? I've read a general rule of thumb is that the bulb is 12' away. Currently, I have the bulb dome 12" away from substrate. Should I lower that so the bulb, that is a few inches inside, is 12" away? I don't want to burn the little guy, or come home to tortoise jerky. :eek:

My kids (who are allergic to most animals) absolutely love him, and I don't want to screw this up. Am I missing anything???
IMG_6942_zpsi0iu0mn7.jpg.html

IMG_6944_zpsrjjo4nzi.jpg.html

IMG_6943_zpswe9orjij.jpg.html

rbcurdt

St. Louis, MO
I attached links from my photobucket account, but I'm not sure how if those pics are attaching.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I cannot view the pics. Is this An open enclosure? If you cover it, temps and humidity will be much easier to maintain.

rbcurdt

St. Louis, MO
It is open, as the breeder (tortoise supply) recommended the rubbermaid version of an enclosure. This is the same idea, just a bit prettier. Humidity seems to fluctuate between 50-60%.

rbcurdt

St. Louis, MO
If anyone has any clues as to how to properly upload pics, this website is trickier than I'm used to.

AnimalLady

I have most pix on my phone, so, I email the pix to me, download them on my pc and save on my desktop (for easy finding) and then just upload that way.

I'm sure i could probably just upload directly from my ph, but havent tried.

rbcurdt

St. Louis, MO
A very warm welcome to the forum.

And a lovely enclosure.
Thank you. I did lower the light about an inch and am getting higher temps. About 95 off his shell under the light. Is that okay? I'm really struggling between being hands off and relying on "he knows what he needs and as long as it's available to him he's fine" and "all he does is sleep SOMETHING IS WRONG!"

AnimalLady

Yup! I see pix :)

I love the lego house! We have a couple of those here.. wonder if my boys would mind me using one.... hmmmm

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. I love Russian tortoises, they are such characters.

rbcurdt

St. Louis, MO
Yup! I see pix :)

I love the lego house! We have a couple of those here.. wonder if my boys would mind me using one.... hmmmm
It is nice that the top comes off, but still has a pretty nice seal on it when it is closed. That way if I need to peek in to find him I don't have to disrupt too much. This was him last night! image.jpg

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
Since he's just a baby, try damp spaghnum moss to help raise humidity and to make easy hideaways. They like to burrow underneath the moss and feel safer at the time.

Lowe's has a cheap offering (besides the reptile brands). ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442343078.894244.jpg

Good luck with that cute baby!

rbcurdt

St. Louis, MO
Since he's just a baby, try damp spaghnum moss to help raise humidity and to make easy hideaways. They like to burrow underneath the moss and feel safer at the time.

Lowe's has a cheap offering (besides the reptile brands). View attachment 148640

Good luck with that cute baby!
Like little piles of it for him to burrow into? Not the whole substrate? I'll be honest, he was shipped in that stuff and I almost passed out when I opened him up. That stuff stinks!

AnimalLady

^^Lol, maybe he pooped or peed in it?

It normally doesnt stink! I use to buy it a lot when I had my orchid obsession.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
It is a very pretty enclosure. You did a good job. I would still cover, or partially cover it to hold humidity better. It takes them a while to adjust. Babies are prey and they like cover. Put several plants in there for him to feel safer. Spider plants work really well.

rbcurdt

St. Louis, MO
It is a very pretty enclosure. You did a good job. I would still cover, or partially cover it to hold humidity better. It takes them a while to adjust. Babies are prey and they like cover. Put several plants in there for him to feel safer. Spider plants work really well.
So maybe one or two in the warm side and another on the cool? There are two airplants on either side of the Lego box, that he occasionally sticks his head under.