New baby possibly very sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
That is wonderful news!!!! You are very wise to finish all of his meds, to the end.
(Torts do move their heads in and out when they breathe, using their legs and head as a bellows to push the air in and out.)

synspyder

5 Year Member
Kyoto, Japan
Thank you for that clarification, Lynn! I would have continued to think he couldn't breathe. :)

He's still got no bubbles, though he could heard him breathing, it was a very dry sound, not at all wet. I'm so relieved!

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
Yes yes thank you. This is my first tort let alone it being a baby so ive no ide what 'normal' behavior is yet. lol i know. im such a newbie. But gotta start somewhere.

And thats amazing your tort is finally almost tip top again! My heart sunk reading this thread but changed to a huge smile the more i read.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
There is a lot to learn! Even what is normal or not!
So if the bubbly nose is clearing, wheezing is gone, and the tortoise isn't opening/shutting mouth like gasping or yawning, then your little guy is getting better indeed!
Keep up your vigilance. He will still need close care.
Great job.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is common to see baby tortoises front legs move with the breathing. They're not sick...that's normal breathing.

If your baby takes a turn for the worse and you'd like to try the medication of choice for tortoise respiratory infection, tell your vet that we use enroflaxin (common name - Baytril). It comes in different strengths, so he needs to talk to someone who knows the antibiotic before prescribing it.

synspyder

5 Year Member
Kyoto, Japan
Ok, last update.

Punli is 100% better now! No more bubbling or gasping for breath. Occasionally he will still making a ticking noise occasionally, but I can't see any signs of wetness of difficulty breathing, his appetite, strength and energy are all good. Vet gives him an all clear. yay for baby Punli!

Still waiting on my order from reptile supply though :/

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Noooo! Not last update until we see one more pic of the little guy...what a great story.

How long has it been since you ordered through reptile supply? Can you contest it through your credit card or Paypal (can't remember details)?

synspyder

5 Year Member
Kyoto, Japan
Well, at least the last update about him being sick ;) I'm sure there will be plenty of Punli stories to come, and pictures.

I just checked my email and they were holding my order because I ordered the wrong fixture with the MVB. Nice of them not to just mail me incompatible products and take my money ;) But that's where the delay came from.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
synspyder said:
Ok, last update.

Punli is 100% better now! No more bubbling or gasping for breath. Occasionally he will still making a ticking noise occasionally, but I can't see any signs of wetness of difficulty breathing, his appetite, strength and energy are all good. Vet gives him an all clear. yay for baby Punli!

Still waiting on my order from reptile supply though :/

Way to go!! :) !!! Yippeee !! You are the best! Thanks for being so dedicated to this little one in his time of need. :)!! Be sure to celebrate with a special treat too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.