New baby possibly very sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

synspyder

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kyoto, Japan
We just got our little baby greek and I'm very worried about him.

He blows bubbles out of his nose, sometimes several at a time, and squeaks when he breathes. Some times he opens his mouth very wide and takes in a big breath. I'm concerned he has a respiratory illness.

We're taking him to the vet as soon as we can figure out how to get him there without him freezing (our only means of transportation is a bicycle).

I'm not sure how active tortoises are supposed to be (especially in winter) but he spends most of his time in his hide. Yesterday he came out and enthusiastically ate some squash and banana. Today I came home and his squash and broccoli leaf meal was scattered in his food dish. We've got him a 100 watt bulb for basking, unfortunately a compact UVB bulb is all we have for UVB at the moment (long story short, he was a gift from my girlfriend who was bullied into spending all our money on crap supplies at the pet store, and better supplies are on order)

Until we can get him to the vet this week, is there anything I can do for him? I added an extra heater to his hide spot, so that he doesn't get too cold, but I can't think of anything else to do, other than dab up his snot. :/ I'm really worried about him. Is this sever?

Thank you for any help you can provide v.v

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Nicky:

Until you can get him to a vet, you should make his habitat warmer, keep him quiet. The open mouth is gasping for breath. You're correct...those symptoms sound like a respiratory infection.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Do you have a small Ice chest to transport him in, you can get heat packs to make the trip with.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
He up some dry rice inside a sock and tie it off. That should stay warm inside the box while in transport. Then ask the vet tech to heat it up before you leave.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If it were me I would not let his enclosure fall below 85°f and keep a hot spot for basking of 95-100....I would turn off the coil bulb for now....and once you get the uvb replacement bulb then turn it on.....are the snots clear and watery or are they thick and discolored? I would also make sure to keep him hydrated especially with the increased steady temps....if you are misting him I would hold off on that for a bit right now.

IMHO

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Keep it hydrated and "hot". Make sure it is eating, too, and not just trodding through the food.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
still eating is a good sign.. but the other things are not...
warm.. hydrated... dont disturb him much..
Do you have a Walmart near you? they sell things called Hot Hands.. or warmers.. they are little packets you open and put in your pockets.. they warm up.. you can use those for transporting..
very important.. to kepp your baby upright.. dont put him on his back or hold funny... he wont be able to breathe well if he is already having trouble.

synspyder

5 Year Member
Kyoto, Japan
Thank you all very much for your advice.

We are keeping him as warm as possible, and soaked him yesterday before drying him off and putting him in warmth again. The discharge from his nose is clear and watery. I'm going to pack him in hand warmers to take him to the vet today. I'll keep you all posted on his health.

I hope he pulls through. :/

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Let us know how he does!!! Poor baby, but at least he has someone who cares watching over him!

I would just like to comment on the diet you mentioned in your first post... Keep fruit to a minimum, cut back on the squash (I try not to do more than once a week, myself), and do more dark leafy greens. Collard greens, Spring Mix (a pre-packaged salad mix of baby lettuces & greens), Turnip greens, endive, and mustard greens, to name a few--even dandelions and other edible weeds from an untreated yard are great food, if they're still alive where you are.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
I also used a heating rock- my little one almost knew he wanted to use it to feel better.

This is worth a taxi if you can get one. Just get help as soon as you can...little lungs are fighting to breathe. Turtles will hide their pain well.

synspyder

5 Year Member
Kyoto, Japan
Just got back from the vet. The vet was surprised when he saw him. He said he'd never treated a tortoise before, but after a lengthy discussion with someone who had experience, came to the conclusion of keep him warm (most important), feed him well (he gave me a list of good veggies in Japanese) and medicate. He said he could give me the medicine, but he honestly had no idea how to advise I administer it. I've had experience medicating bearded dragons and snakes, but not anything with a shell, so this is going to be interesting. I'm supposed to give him his medicine 2 times a day, so now I'm just waiting for him to get warm enough to be interested in food, wait until he nabs something, and put a drop on what he grabs. He doesn't stick his head out far enough most of the time for me to try to get it into his mouth directly.

Also, he took a big poop at the vet, so I had him tested for parasites and he came up clean. So at least I only have to deal with one medical issue.

I also bought him a bag of spring greens which he's eying at the moment. Hopefully he gets hungry soon.

Thank you for all the advice! I'll ease off the squash now that I have my list of Japanese options.

**Edit**

Ok, I tricked him into taking his medicine. I had to do it with a piece of squash, since it's the only thing he's crazy enough about to take out of my hand at the moment. He nabbed the squash, and I followed it with the syringe. He spat a bunch of it out, but I think I managed to get him to take 80% of the dose. I think he's contemplating how to escape now.

I'm keeping him in his little box with hand warmers for now to keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't run off into the cold side of his tank which we are still working on heating up for him. I'll block that side off when I got to work so he'll have to remain in warmth.

He just discovered the spring greens, and he's eating with gusto! Hopefully this means he's got enough spunk to beat back this infection. :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
An appetite is an excellent sign. Keeping him warm as you are doing is key.
Folks will want to know what medication he is receiving, is it something like Baytril?
You can give the med mashed up in a small amount of squash (not more than you think he would eat), wrapped in a small green leaf, like a small burrito. That way he eats the med with his favorite food. Don't give him squash any other time so it is a treat.
Warm soaks are fine, sounds like you are drying him off and sticking him right in the warm area.
(OK to give whatever it takes to get meds down. Otherwise, as Taylor suggests, you can focus more on greens/weeds).

Hope things go well! This is worse than having a human baby sometimes!

synspyder

5 Year Member
Kyoto, Japan
lynnedit said:
An appetite is an excellent sign. Keeping him warm as you are doing is key.
Folks will want to know what medication he is receiving, is it something like Baytril?
You can give the med mashed up in a small amount of squash (not more than you think he would eat), wrapped in a small green leaf, like a small burrito. That way he eats the med with his favorite food. Don't give him squash any other time so it is a treat.
Warm soaks are fine, sounds like you are drying him off and sticking him right in the warm area.
(OK to give whatever it takes to get meds down. Otherwise, as Taylor suggests, you can focus more on greens/weeds).

Hope things go well! This is worse than having a human baby sometimes!

I honestly couldn't say what the meds are. I live in Japan, and if the medications they give here are even the same as they do in the west, I would only have their Japanese name anyway.

I'm glad he's starting to eat the greens now too. I don't have to worry about him snubbing anything but squash. He didn't touch any of the broccoli leaf I gave him yesterday. After he took that one piece of squash with medication, he ate almost an entire bowl full of spring green. Once we get into a medicine routine, I'll take him off the squash. Fortunately he opens his mouth nice and wide to eat and I can wiggle a syringe in there with his meal. He's gotten used to me dabbing mucus off his nose, so he wasn't too bothered by a syringe hovering near his moth.

He's in the 'cool' side of his tank now which used to be the 'medium' heat area. I've got an electric heating pad wrapped in a towel for him, and a 100 watt bulb heating the warm side. Just waiting on my reptile supply order to ship and we'll have an MVB for him too.

I know what you mean. I was tearing up yesterday, feeling so helpless to do anything for him and my girlfriend was staring at me like I was nuts!

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
So glad he's doing okay. The appetite is definitely a good sign! I agree with Lynne. If it takes a squash treat to get him to take his meds, then have at. Squash isn't terrible, just not good as an every day staple, and his medicine is definitely more important than how much squash is in his diet right now.

synspyder

5 Year Member
Kyoto, Japan
Came home from work and found him buried under his shredded newspaper in the hot side of the tank. I gave him a little extra warming under the kotatsu (heated table) which got him active and hungry enough to entice him to eat his greens and take his meds. He spent another 15 minutes running (relative turtle speed) back and forth on my lap, nibbling the remaining greens and peering down over my hands. He's got more energy now. He's walking on his toes now, as opposed to just crawling along, and he's extending his neck fully out to look around. He's still blowing a bubbles, but he's looking much better than last night, and he's taking his meds like a trooper. I was so worried about that @.@

It's nice that he's not totally head shy. I can wipe his nose and follow his mouth with a syringe and he's fine with it. He's getting better with me moving around too.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
carefull having him out on your lap.. acciedental falling.. and cooler then he shouldbe...
glad to hear his is active!

synspyder

5 Year Member
Kyoto, Japan
I have my hands around him so he won't fall, and we are under the heated table, which is covered with a blanket and keeps it a pretty constant 95 degrees. When he gets active, I put him on the top of the blanket, on my lap, and he motors around while I watch him. When he gets to my hand, he puts his front legs over my fingers and stretches his neck out to look around, then goes back to the other side.

When he slows down again, I put him under the blanket and he falls asleep on my thigh.

Right now he's just waking up. I'll give him his meds again in a few minutes. Thank you for all your help. I feel much better for all this advice and knowledge ^_^

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Thanks for the update! It is good he is used to you, as that does make it easier to give medication. As long as he eats some, stays warm, hydrated and takes his med, hopefully he will continue to get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.