New baby.... Muffin the Sulcata

Myidcw

5 Year Member
Hi

I'm a new Sulcata owner
Muffin is the name of my 3 week old baby sully. Baby weighted 51g a week ago when s/he came home and today weights 56g.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1382418512.611622.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1382419755.272983.jpg

My husband built Muffin a closed chamber enclosure.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1382418531.507044.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1382419906.257705.jpg
Basking on the right side with a water bowl
Food is located on the left side loft
Humid hide is right under the loft
And CHE is also located on the left side

Humidity 80%
Basking 102
Humid hide 81-83
Since the enclosure is not very big (50x15"), it doesn't really have a low temp area...the whole enclosure temp is at 82 and up .... to 102

Muffin sleeps a lot. S/he is most active between 6-9 pm... And then goes into the humid hide (most time I send her in and she stays) around 9:30 pm and comes out around 10:30am...
Start moving and eating a little bit and then more sleeping on the loft food area or right on her/his food plate (kind funny)[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]

Muffin gets to go outside and enjoy sunshine a couple days a week
Soaking 30mins everyday
I also try to spread water on her shell couple times a day

Diet so far : grass, weeds, Opuntia Cactus, Hibiscus leaf/flowers, rose leaf, pumpkin leaf/flower, and some mazuri

So my questions are:

1. During the day, Muffin rarely go basking or visiting the water bowl. s/he pretty much stay on the loft also where the food is all the time. Is this ok? The loft temp during the day is around 90
ImageUploadedByTortForum1382418564.305466.jpg

2. How often should sully have b/m? Muffin first got home , she pooped once, sometime twice a day. And then.... No poop for 2 days... Today she pooped again while soaking.... kind loose (can still see a shape) and floating on the water. Is the normal?ImageUploadedByTortForum1382418584.372578.jpg

3. Is the weight gain ok? 5g in a week, it's like 10% weight gain....

Sorry, I'm a newbie so I do have a lot of questions.... Just trying to give my baby the best set up possible. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Comments and suggestions are very welcomed [OK HAND SIGN]

Thanks
Jane

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. If the ambient temp is from 82 to 102 degrees, I'd be careful not to let it get hotter than 90 overall because the baby can dehydrate more easily since the humidity will also dry up with higher heat. You may need to keep the hot spot at 100 degrees to achieve this.

Have you read any of Tom's threads on raising sulcatas? It sounds like you have. The diet is good, but maybe she doesn't go to the water bowl because it's too hot there for her. Also, you may want to soak her two times daily; once in the morning, and the second at evening. This way if she's thirsty she can drink then. Don't let the humidity drop below 80% because it may be a bit too warm for her inside the enclosure especially since you said it's small. That's why Tom would recommend that you get a bigger tank/plastic tub even for babies. Temps must be correct...there's very little room for error with that. See if that helps with drinking and movement. Oh, and tortoises have very slow systems. It may take a couple of days to have a B/M. Don't worry about that. If she's eating, drinking, and having bm every other day, she's doing good. They are not like humans who need to have a bm everyday. Their systems are much, much slower.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Everything in your entire set up and routine sounds perfect.

You do have a problem though... Because you are doing everything "right", that enclosure is not going to las more than a couple of months before it is too small. Tell hubby to get busy on the 4x8' closed chamber. :D

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Tom said:
Everything in your entire set up and routine sounds perfect.

You do have a problem though... Because you are doing everything "right", that enclosure is not going to las more than a couple of months before it is too small. Tell hubby to get busy on the 4x8' closed chamber. :D

Oh heck, do what I did and convert a whole room! [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Muffin looks great. They do gain weight real fast. You have done your homework beforehand, so I am sure Muffin will remain a healthy tortoise and continue to grow fast.

Myidcw

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for suggestions and comments[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

I will sure to ask more questions about how to keep this little one healthy and happy[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Muffin is really cute. Even my husband who is the only one doesn't want to have any kind of pet now is in love with this little cutie
He even told me the the first thing in the morning when he comes downstairs ... Is to go check on Muffin[FACE THROWING A KISS]

And thank you Lance for this little wonderful cutie in our family now [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

ImageUploadedByTortForum1382464766.173244.jpg
Muffin enjoying sunshine this morning

Myidcw

5 Year Member
Quick question....
If the sun is out and temp is like below 65F..... Do I still let my baby sully out for sunning time?
Or below what degree of temp I should stop taking my baby out for sunshine

Myidcw

5 Year Member
Cute_Obi said:
Love the picture of Muffin on the rock...knocked out!!! so cute :)

She sure does have some funny and cute poses when taking naps.....[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would not let the temperature drop below 80 .

Myidcw

5 Year Member
Updates on Muffin

Muffin has been home for 2 1/2 weeks and about is one month old now.

She gained 11g from 51g to 62g since we got her.

A pic of her enjoying one of her favorites... Hibiscus flower
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383352531.402467.jpg

Everyone is falling in love with her in my family[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

ImageUploadedByTortForum1383352652.403912.jpg

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Beautiful tort thanks for the update

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I love the pic of Muffin in the "sea of grass". She/he definitely looks bigger. I am so glad one of my babies went to a great home where it will be taken care of how it should.

Myidcw

5 Year Member
Lancecham said:
I love the pic of Muffin in the "sea of grass". She/he definitely looks bigger. I am so glad one of my babies went to a great home where it will be taken care of how it should.

"Sea of grass" I like that term[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
That's one my my favorite pics of her too[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
And of course she goes right straight to the lettuce even she is in the sea of grass......[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES] still prefer lettuce over grass[FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]

Myidcw

5 Year Member
Updates on my baby sully....
Muffin is 2 month old now ![SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
She is 85g and 3" today.
And some pictures from today[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

ImageUploadedByTortForum1386030703.836155.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1386030685.336356.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1386030494.185913.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1386030494.185913.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 28
  • ImageUploadedByTortForum1386030503.603628.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1386030503.603628.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 27
  • ImageUploadedByTortForum1386030513.286868.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1386030513.286868.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 26