New baby making noises

jjrene1991

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
So we JUST got our 3 month old red foot. What is considered normal behavior? They are burrowed for most of the day. Also they are making odd noises. One is a whistle noise the other is a click noise. Very faint. Not consistent. I picked them up for their soak this morning ans the whistling sound started again. Are they scared or distressed so it's breathing heavily?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
So we JUST got our 3 month old red foot. What is considered normal behavior? They are burrowed for most of the day. Also they are making odd noises. One is a whistle noise the other is a click noise. Very faint. Not consistent. I picked them up for their soak this morning ans the whistling sound started again. Are they scared or distressed so it's breathing heavily?
Depends..
Do "they" only make this noise briefly when disturbed. Or all of the time?
Just when disturbed is relatively normal. All of the time is not and may be the start of a respiratory infection.
What type of enclosure do you have and what is the temperature?

jjrene1991

Sacramento
Depends..
Do "they" only make this noise briefly when disturbed. Or all of the time?
Just when disturbed is relatively normal. All of the time is not and may be the start of a respiratory infection.
What type of enclosure do you have and what is the temperature?
Mostly when disturbed. It makes the little clicking noise every so often but not much. No mucus or watery eyes.

jjrene1991

Sacramento
Then I wouldn't be alarmed.
They expelled air when they are disturbed. The noise that makes can vary from a hiss to a squeak.
And babies spend a great deal of time hiding.
Make sure you supply a few hiding places.
We have. Also we've been told MANY different views on humidity. The reptile store we got it from says just to spray down an open enclosure twice a day. Others say have it fully enclosed. Some say 60% humidity others say 80% I'm so confused!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
We have. Also we've been told MANY different views on humidity. The reptile store we got it from says just to spray down an open enclosure twice a day. Others say have it fully enclosed. Some say 60% humidity others say 80% I'm so confused!
Over 75% 24/7.
You would wear out your wrist and a spray gun pretty fast with an open topped enclosure. And still never reach a high enough humidity.
The best and easiest way to both get and maintain your high humidity is with the use of a CLOSED CHAMBER type enclosure.
They're especially easy to make for very small REDFOOT. But get more challenging as they grow and need much larger quarters.
Reptile shops are famous for:
°Selling sick animals
°Selling the wrong types of lighting
°Giving outdated information about most everything