new baby ibera greek tortoise- help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

keikolovestorties

5 Year Member
Hello everyone! I am new to this site :) I need some help.

I ordered a baby Ibera Greek Tortoise from a breeder. It is 3 months old and will arrive tuesday morning. I am so excited and nervous....I cant sleep, I think about it all day. Im just so nervous... I want this hatchling to live a Long and healthy life!

I bought some supplies for her/him today. Please let me know if this is good, what im missing, give me any possible advice, etc. I want to be a good owner, I love this baby so much already. :)

What I already bought:
A 3 by 2 1/2 foot enclore
A clamp lamp
Zoo med "powersun UV " 100 W UVB light
Calcium powder
Thermometer
Log hideaway
Aspen for the basking part of the enclosure
Eco earth for the part ill keep humid(her shallow water bowl and food on a brick will be on this side as well)
Im going to buy before tuesday:
a liv plant,mabe clover
Spring mix and other fresh food
I plan on misting the tortoise in the morning and Night, soaking it once a week. Ill set the temp to 90 at day and 75 at Night. Im going to feed it 2 times a day. Ill let her on a "walk" on my patio on warm days. I plan on building a much larger enclosure in the next 3 months, before shes 6 montgs old, maybe 6x2?

Does anyone have any advice? Does this sound like a good plan for my tortoise?

Thank you so much for your help!
Love, Keiko, aka a very nervous 1st time tortoise owner :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Sounds like you have a good start...tweaks will happen once the little one arrives and makes itself comfortable...BUUUUT, I would suggest soaks on a daily basis :D

keikolovestorties

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Sounds like you have a good start...tweaks will happen once the little one arrives and makes itself comfortable...BUUUUT, I would suggest soaks on a daily basis :D

Hello! Thank you for the reply. Ive been doing a ton of research so I hope that i can take the best possible care of her.

How often should she soak? 3 times a week? More?
Also, would it be ok to turn off the heat at Night? We live in the desert, Littlerock ca, and our nights are pretty warm. I know cooling down is important for them at Night.

Thanks again!!

ismail

5 Year Member
keikolovestorties said:
ascott said:

Hello! Thank you for the reply. Ive been doing a ton of research so I hope that i can take the best possible care of her.

How often should she soak? 3 times a week? More?
Also, would it be ok to turn off the heat at Night? We live in the desert, Littlerock ca, and our nights are pretty warm. I know cooling down is important for them at Night.

Thanks again!!

I found that hatchlings get more easily dehydrated, so i would suggest daily soaks in lukewarm water.

Status
Not open for further replies.