New Baby Greek Kibble!

Dawn M LaPolla

5 Year Member
Just got a 4 month old Greek hatchling we named Kibble :). He was very active the first day checking out his new digs and eating up a storm. Now he mostly hides in his coconut shell hut. I'm soaking him but he never goes to the water to drink nor does he drink when he's soaking. I'm also sprinkling water on his food - seems to love collard greens the most so far. I have a UVB light on during the day and a black heat light on 24/7 that is warming his enclosure to 85-95 degrees depending on the spot in the terrarium. Just want to be sure he is behaving normally and I'm doing everything right! He also seems to be pooping fine but I just love this little guy so much! :D

Kibble1.jpg Kibble2.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Kibble is a sweet little tort - GOD bless.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
In case you haven't already found it there is a great caresheet for Greeks in the Species specific section which will tell you all about diet temps humidity substrate etc. The Beginners Mistake thread (link below) will also help you learn a few do's and don'ts.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is also a good guide on what plants are tort safe for food and enclosures and what is ok for regular feeding or in moderation . Variety is the key with torts. I rarely see my tort drink either but when they soak they able to absorb water both ends.
As for hiding - what sort of bulb are you using? If it is a coiled or long thin loop cfl type it could be hurting his eyes as these bulbs do cause damage to torts eyes so if you have one of those it will need replacing asap.
But Kibble is a gorgeous little tort - they do steal your heart!!!

Dawn M LaPolla

5 Year Member
I'm using a Zilla slimeline Desert 50 UVB T8 Fluorescent bulb for UVB. I use a black light for the heat which doesn't seem to produce any noticable light at all. Just a slight glow in pitch black darkness.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm sure this won't be my only Tort! They are just so contagious!!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If you don't have one yet you will find a digital temp gun invaluable in making sure his enclosure 'ground' temps are high enough for him, they are only cheap and if you are in US can be bought in places like Lowes and Home Depot or Amazon. They are ideal for spot checking the 4 temps he needs.

Lincoln Michal

5 Year Member
The temp. gun is a good idea. One end of the pen should be 75 F and the basking area about 90-95. Give your baby a humid dark hiding place as tortoises when well feed sleep alot and like to feel secure and under cover. Keep the warm basking area humid also. Get a plant identification book with pictures and learn want weeds are good. Feed weeds. I like 4' reptisun fluorescents, two of them in a shop fixture, they can be ordered by mail for about $22 per bulb. Keep soaking him he will drink when he wants. Don't worry they are tough.