New Baby Excitement

Koopas KC

Location (City and/or State)
Millcreek, Utah
Our new Eastern Box Turtle hatchling arrived yesterday, healthy and bright eyed. We (mostly me) are happy with the experience. I soaked him first in a sunny area for 30 minutes. I introduced him to his home for now, a 106 Qt storage bin with coconut fiber and a small amount of cypress for his substrate.

I do have a some questions about lighting and heat.

I've read that the coil lightbulbs are not good for their eyes. I've taken two pictures and wonder if both of them are considered to be coil bulb.

Also, I prefer ceramic heat emitters and I'm not quite sure what wattage and what distance from the substrate are best.

Attachments

• IMG_20201013_102013206_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201013_102013206_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20201014_162728593.jpg
    IMG_20201014_162728593.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20201014_163152473.jpg
    IMG_20201014_163152473.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Congratulations!! What a beautiful little guy!

I'm not sure what others do since I'm now here but little Matilda seems to be enjoying her home. I've re-done it a couple of times since this pic was taken and she's now up to near 25 grams!

I use the pad heater with leaf-little above it and opposite end from her food and water. She gets D3 couple times a week from the dollar store..pop the liquid caps and pour it over her food.....she seems to like it!

I use a laser therm and typ get 89-91 directly on the heating elements, 79-80 on the surface of the ground above it and 71 or so at the other end. I don't use bright lights for anything but the LED lamp causes the plants to turn to face it....and the zoologic(?)....fluorescent does not.

Good luck!
jeff

Attachments

• M1.jpg
    M1.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 17

Koopas KC

Millcreek, Utah
Congratulations!! What a beautiful little guy!

I'm not sure what others do since I'm now here but little Matilda seems to be enjoying her home. I've re-done it a couple of times since this pic was taken and she's now up to near 25 grams!

I use the pad heater with leaf-little above it and opposite end from her food and water. She gets D3 couple times a week from the dollar store..pop the liquid caps and pour it over her food.....she seems to like it!

I use a laser therm and typ get 89-91 directly on the heating elements, 79-80 on the surface of the ground above it and 71 or so at the other end. I don't use bright lights for anything but the LED lamp causes the plants to turn to face it....and the zoologic(?)....fluorescent does not.

Good luck!
jeff

Thank you, I appreciate inputs!

Freddy90

Austria
Our new Eastern Box Turtle hatchling arrived yesterday, healthy and bright eyed. We (mostly me) are happy with the experience. I soaked him first in a sunny area for 30 minutes. I introduced him to his home for now, a 106 Qt storage bin with coconut fiber and a small amount of cypress for his substrate.

I do have a some questions about lighting and heat.

I've read that the coil lightbulbs are not good for their eyes. I've taken two pictures and wonder if both of them are considered to be coil bulb.

Also, I prefer ceramic heat emitters and I'm not quite sure what wattage and what distance from the substrate are best.

Hey don't know if it helps but check this out a box turtle care video