New baby belize sliders. Need help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yarok

5 Year Member
2 baby Belize sliders will be arriving at my house tomorrow and i'm not prepared for them. I need help with housing and equipment. I plan to buy a 20 gallon long aquarium. Someone recommended the Penguin 200 filter by Marineland. the issue that i'm having is that with a hang on the back filter I would need to raise the water level almost till the top of the tank which wouldn't leave room for a basking platform. if anyone knows of a good quality basking platform for a 20 gallon tank that would be great. I've been surfing the web for ideas but i'm not having any luck. Some filter suggestions would be very helpful. Also I was looking into basking platform that goes on top of the tank. The only one I have seen so far is the "Turtle Topper by penn plax but i'm not a big fan of the way it looks. Lighting ideas would be helpful too. Thanks guys.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
If they are small you don't have to filter the water just change the water frequently.

For your light, you need a basking light from above. You can use a light stand or just build a support for a reflector lamp. You want it adjustable and able to point directly downward.

For your basking spot just get a couple of paver blocks and stack and slant them so you have a ramp they can swim onto.

The light is available at any hardware store and you'll need a basking bulb. Make sure the light has a ceramic socket.

That will get you started until you can get a better setup.

Good luck.

20 gallons is not big enough for very long. Sliders can get up to 12"; you will need a outdoor pond or a very large tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.