new babies i didn't plan for

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Hi Ignacio:

Setting up two habitats for hatchlings doesn't have to be expensive. If you'll buy the two plastic tubs, I can send you other equipment. I have an excess of light fixtures, feeding tiles, plant saucers, etc. I also have a couple of new tube type fluorescent UVB bulbs I'm willing to send you.

PM me your address and what you need and I'll see if I can accommodate you.

That why I love you Yvonne!!!

Ignacio

Hi Ignacio:

Setting up two habitats for hatchlings doesn't have to be expensive. If you'll buy the two plastic tubs, I can send you other equipment. I have an excess of light fixtures, feeding tiles, plant saucers, etc. I also have a couple of new tube type fluorescent UVB bulbs I'm willing to send you.

Thanks I sign the lease and start moving one week from today, I'll send you that address as soon as its a 100% sure, since last place i was supposed to rent didn't happened due to current occupants refusing to vacate so Im not getting my hopes up. Also i can pay you back in dec when life is back to normal.

Also the bookcase is 3.5'x15" with the divider each hatching gets about 21"x15" is that too small for the hatchlings for around 6-8 weeks?

Ignacio

Nope, hatchlings bully too. I have two sulcatas that are siblings. So, they're the same age, but one was stronger than the other and would throw his weight around, so to speak. I couldn't believe what I was seeing with these babies! I eventually separated them, as Tom suggested members should do with sulcatas and Russians. I wrongly thought that they loved each other since I would often see then cuddling up to each other when sleeping. Later I found that it was more about keeping warm then about love. Hatchlings learn quickly and they have an instinctive way of knowing who is weak. It's the weakest or sick that gets bullied.

wow i never consider bullying at that size buy yea now you mentioned it i remember little RES pushing each other to get the "best" spot to bask.
and yea i never considered any type of reptile to be able to show affection to each other or to humans like mammals and birds do, they see us more like the giant beast who brings food :p
Thank you, before reading this the only concern i had was one being sick and getting sicker because of the other and the other catching whatever the sick one might have. They don't look sick but rather prevent than cry later. Really really grateful you took the time to write this in a way that makes sense and doesn't attack anyone (not me, at not point had i felt attacked but I have seen it before in the forum how 100% newbies get scared away sometimes) or gives me bad advice to do what i want because they are mine and not yours.
Thank you again

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks I sign the lease and start moving one week from today, I'll send you that address as soon as its a 100% sure, since last place i was supposed to rent didn't happened due to current occupants refusing to vacate so Im not getting my hopes up. Also i can pay you back in dec when life is back to normal.

Also the bookcase is 3.5'x15" with the divider each hatching gets about 21"x15" is that too small for the hatchlings for around 6-8 weeks?

Don't worry about paying me back. People give me all their supplies when they turn in their turtles and tortoises. The only thing new I'll be sending is the bulb, and I have several extras I'm not using.

Ignacio

Don't worry about paying me back. People give me all their supplies when they turn in their turtles and tortoises. The only thing new I'll be sending is the bulb, and I have several extras I'm not using.

Id still like to repay, by December not only ill be back to normal economically but my rent is going down to less than half for a nicer place so id love to repay somehow, if not $ maybe volunteer in your rescue a few weekends or something

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Now that (volunteering) would be most welcome!!

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
Hi I have kept and bred Testudo graeca graeca and also Testudo hermanni boettgeri for many years and and since I like to keep some back to raise for my own interest and develop my husbandry skills. Early on I found that These hatchlings in particular were better off if kept separate right from the start. The problem was never space it was as you have said the cost of heat and lighting equipment. Before I end up righting a book about the subject lol ,I will post a picture showing what I did to combat the costs. This picture shows a small hatchling table with my Juveniles beneath in an open pen. Sorry about picture quality but was some years ago.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Hi Ignacio:

What a great gesture!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi I have kept and bred Testudo graeca graeca and also Testudo hermanni boettgeri for many years and and since I like to keep some back to raise for my own interest and develop my husbandry skills. Early on I found that These hatchlings in particular were better off if kept separate right from the start. The problem was never space it was as you have said the cost of heat and lighting equipment. Before I end up righting a book about the subject lol ,I will post a picture showing what I did to combat the costs. This picture shows a small hatchling table with my Juveniles beneath in an open pen. Sorry about picture quality but was some years ago.

I double up on 'fixtures' too. I put two enclosures right next to each other then place the UVB bulb over where the two butt up against each other.

Ehaley

Hi Ignacio:

Now that's proactive help! Good on you Miss Yvonne!