New and need some guidance. Plastron issues?

Arcadian

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello all.

I've fostered a few older sulcata's in the past for a few months at a time but hatchlings are completely new to me.. We rescued a hatchling in distress during one of the storms here recently we've been caring for this sweet little baby for about a month now. Things have seemingly been going well no issues with eating, soaking, super active. Sleeps in some weird positions (like half sideways or half perched against things in the enclosure) but nothing has seemed cause for concern until today . little baby flipped over and was struggling to get flipped back the right away so I went to give a little help and noticed what I believe is an abnormality.. Can anyone give me any guidance as to what may be happening on the plastron and how to help it?

I'm uploading a few images for reference.

20191022_131021_HDR.jpg 20191022_131038_HDR.jpg 20191022_131134_HDR.jpg 20191022_131509_HDR.jpg 20191022_131333_HDR.jpg 20191022_131355_HDR.jpg

Arcadian

Arizona
Also that looks like a desert tortoise baby rather then a sulcata to me. But I could be wrong.

Yes, I believe you are correct. I was just mentioning that older sulcata's were the only tortoises I had experience with. I could have been more clear in my original post though so I apologize. Thank you! :)

Arcadian

Arizona
Yes that is what I was refering to, thank you all so much for clarifying I was a bit concerned so it's good to know it's nothing to stress about! Thank you again! I'm thankful to be part of such an awesome group!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Peoria, Maricopa County, AZ
This baby looks terribly dehydrated. Do you soak him daily?
Not that I wouldn't do exactly as you are - take it in and care for it lovingly, but look up the restrictions on having it. As a newborn, in the "wild" it would surely be a snack for some animal. The day after rescuing what ended up being my first tortoise (sulcata), thinking it was a desert tortoise I did a bit of research on-line and was dismayed at the amount of the fine, considering it had been rescued from my Shih Tzu's mouth. I'd not be showing it off to any county inspectors! Good luck raising it, sure is cute!

Arcadian

Arizona
This baby looks terribly dehydrated. Do you soak him daily?

Thank you. I was concerned about this as well. I will look up ways to get him more hydrated. He normally soaks himself every other day. Days where I don't notice him soaking I try to put him in his soaking dish but sometimes he just isn't having it and I didn't want to force it and stress little baby out either. If anyone has any tips or advice I'm open to them!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Every day, just before feeding him, place him in a bowl of warm water that he can't climb out of. Just leave him in there for 15 or 20 minutes. Then place him in front of the food and step out of his sight.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you. I was concerned about this as well. I will look up ways to get him more hydrated. He normally soaks himself every other day. Days where I don't notice him soaking I try to put him in his soaking dish but sometimes he just isn't having it and I didn't want to force it and stress little baby out either. If anyone has any tips or advice I'm open to them!
Him getting in his water dish isn't "soaking".

As Yvonne said, use a tall sided, opaque tub with warm water in it. I like to soak babies for 30-40 minutes daily until they are at least 100 grams. Keep the water warm for the whole soak. This won't stress the baby out.

Dovey

New River, AZ
Hello all.

I've fostered a few older sulcata's in the past for a few months at a time but hatchlings are completely new to me.. We rescued a hatchling in distress during one of the storms here recently we've been caring for this sweet little baby for about a month now. Things have seemingly been going well no issues with eating, soaking, super active. Sleeps in some weird positions (like half sideways or half perched against things in the enclosure) but nothing has seemed cause for concern until today . little baby flipped over and was struggling to get flipped back the right away so I went to give a little help and noticed what I believe is an abnormality.. Can anyone give me any guidance as to what may be happening on the plastron and how to help it?

I'm uploading a few images for reference.

View attachment 282562 View attachment 282563 View attachment 282564 View attachment 282565 View attachment 282566 View attachment 282567
What a cutie-patootie!