New and Confused Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exhofmei

5 Year Member
Hello! My name is Eli and I am in need of some serious Sulcata schooling! The pet store I bought my Sulcata hatchling, Bowser, from seems to not have a clue about this baby. They told me to feed him fruit! I have been doing my own research and browsing what seems like hundreds of "Expert" sites and posting questions on numerous forums and Im only more confused than when I started. Most sites are based on opinion and everyone has a different one. (I know there is lots of info for new owners on this site, but I need direct answers!) I feel that I have been given misinformation and am therefore not caring for Bowser in the best way possible!

Substrate: Every site says something different. They'll say, "use this" and someone else will say, "No, dont use that, use this!" So most people told me to use a play sand/soil mix, but I've read around this site and it's recommended against!! So what is the absolute best substrate for my baby?

Diet: What's the best diet to have him on... what kind of grass/leaves/flowers, how much, how often? When roaming in their outdoor enclosures, are they allowed to eat the grass from the yard or grow your own? When indoors, can I walk out my door and feed him grasses from my yard or should I buy/grow my own? Im not sure if it matters, but I live in Missouri.

Supplements/Calcium: If any, what brand, how often, and how much?

Lighting: I know this is important, so I want to know everything I need to know about lighting.... what brand, wattage, how far away from him should the light be? What's the best I can do for him as far as lighting goes?

Health: How do I know if he's not healthy? What's healthy poo and pee color? How much is healthy? Is there something I should do now because he's a hatchling and change when he's older?

Ive also heard of hibernating boxes? How do I make one of those for him? I would be very grateful with any information you can give me! It's just very frustrating to be doing something and not be sure if it's the best for him! I want only the best for him! Please help!!
(BTW...He still had an umbilical chord when I got him!)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum. I have posted 3 links for you, and all have some great information. Just remember with everything you read, you have to decided for yourself what is the best option for you and your tortoise...

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1UlP1yoIU
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Things-To-Know-When-Buying-A-Sulcata--11012#axzz1UlP1yoIU
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ed-Greeks-Russians-Sulcatas-etc#axzz1UlP1yoIU

Also, Sulcata's do not hibernate

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Wow! Well welcome. Let me start off with this statement " there are no exact rules to go by for everyone to care for tortoise"

Tell us about what you are doing?
Housing (sulcatas don't hibernate)
Lighting ( do you allow outside natural sun each day or only artificial light)
Diet ( these tortoise should only have fruit as a treat, not diet)
Micro climates (they need dry/humid/sunny/shady spots)

Give us something to chew the fat on....then sit back and take it all in...then in my opinion the information you request will then be your choice for use in developing your own routine for your tortoise...

I do have one thing I feel strongly about....no sand as substrate .....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
sulcatas don't hibernate
no sand it causes to many problems, including impaction. an ideal substrate is a 50 50 mix of plain old dirt or potting soil with no additives and coconut fiber AKA bed a beast
Diet, a best diet for bowser is lots of greens and grasses. little to no fruits and very few vegetables.

Exhofmei

5 Year Member
Ascott, telling me that you feel strongly against using sand is a major help! My biggest issue is his substrate and lighting. Im using soil/sand and obviously I want to change ASAP!! What should I change it to? He gets a mixture of artificial and natural light. He has 2 grow lights in his indoor enclosure and I take him out daily for a few hours to roam and get some sun, which, do I allow him to eat my Missouri grown yard grass? He loves the clovers and dandelions. I have never given him any fruit. I've also been informed to give him a cuttlebone as a calcium supplement? As of right now, Im not giving him anything. What do you think? I soak him daily for about 15-20 mins usually after he comes back in from outside.
Thanks for letting me know that Sulcatas do NOT hibernate, since I have a printout here in front of me telling me I HAVE to have a dig box for my Sulcata to hibernate! Thats what I mean, misinformation... and its hard to tell if the site or store really knows what they're talking about!!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I put a cuddle bone in with my large Sulcata, but my smaller ones won't touch it so I just scrap some onto there food...

Tnewton

5 Year Member
dalano73 said:
I put a cuddle bone in with my large Sulcata, but my smaller ones won't touch it so I just scrap some onto there food...

Yeah my hatchlings wont mess with the cuddle bone either, I just add calcium with d3 to their food

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Eli:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know where you are?

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Eli:
Like you I used a sand mixture when I first setup because that is what I thought was correct. Folks on this forum told me to get rid of it and so I did. I can tell you that removing the sand was so irritating to my eyes and throat that I couldn't imagine what it would be like to live in it.

So I add a +1 to the no sand vote.

Good luck.

You mentioned "grow lights". Can you be more specific? Are the bulbs coil shaped?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Welcome from ALDABRAMAN!

o8uluc.jpg

JacksonR

5 Year Member
I used to have one. The pet store said to feed it lettuce...I was a little kid so I didn't question that. He lived for 2 or 3 years..but finally died on the diet.

Didn't have a lot of pyramiding though...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Eli:

I know its confusing to read all the different ways of tortoise-keeping. The most important thing for your to read and understand is what does your type of tortoise need to live a healthy, happy life. Does he require a lot of space? Does he need a dry substrate or a moist one? Does he need a hiding place, good food, etc. Learn what your tortoise needs, then figure out how to provide that for him. There is no ONE way to do it.

Naturally, there are some do's and don'ts, and we'll be happy to help you with that.

My substrate of choice is orchid bark, second choice cypress mulch. But there are quite a few others that work just as well. I just prefer these.

So, don't be confused. Just go with the flow, and we're here when you need us.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Dmarcus linked my care sheet for you. That is how I like to do it and I've had great results. As a new keeper, I would suggest you find someone who is producing the results you want to see and try to emulate their style of keeping, but still making tweaks to suit your personal situation.

Here is another good link that you might find helpful:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ive-or-Beginner-Tortoise-Owners#axzz1UmzlpwHD

We all understand your frustration. Pet stores are usually terrible with their misinformation. And frankley, most of the books are outdated and plain wrong about some things. This site right here has been, by far, THE best source of tortoise information I have ever found. It is a fantastic community of real people who actually keep, raise and breed the species you are interested in. Many of us have decades of experience to share too. Even still we all have our preferences and things that work best for OUR individual situation. For example: Coco coir is my substrate of choice for babies. Orchid bark would be my second choice. We are unanimous (I think) that sand is not a good idea, even as part of a mixture.

Everything is in the care sheet, but to simplify, just get a 100 watt Mercury Vapor Bulb and put it on a 12 hour timer. Adjust the height of your fixture to get the temps right. For night time (and possibly day time too, depending on your house temps) just use a 60 watt Ceramic Heating Element. Boom! Done!

Good luck and ask us as many questions as you like. Nothing would make us happier than to see your tortoise grow up healthy and happy.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi Eli,

I think your little one grazing on your grass and dandelions is AWESOME and will do wonders for his health...the grass is really good and the calcium and vitamin A from the dandelion is really good as well. I personally think, in my opinion, a large part of the substrate should be good ole fashion dirt/organic no chemicals nor additives is good....keep in mind I do not house any tortoise indoors, all of my tortoise are outside (in the good ole dirt) during tortoise season and in their winter box for, well the winter :p

I have read the others posts and all are great....and you will find great information that you can tweak to your needs....the key here is to read and read and make sure you research several opinions and work your own system...as all the info you will find here is great and all that will be left is for you to work what works for you and your tortoise :p

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Dont' know anything about this species but.....WELCOME TO TFO! :cool::D

Attachments

• wel.jpg
    wel.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.