New AllegraF cherry head

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So FL
Living in South Florida has many benefits. One of them is living close to several great redfoot breeders who raise cherry heads. Last fall I was fortunate enough to meet Carl May and see his amazing torts including the triplets. A few days ago I was graciously welcomed at Allegra's home, toured her equally amazing torts and left with a great 2010 cherry head. The mother was Gogo who I was able to meet. Hopefully I am also first in line for a 2011 Oren baby that currently is being held back. (If she lets it go.) No name yet but he/she is settling in well and has moved into a new 3' by 5' and 12" deep fully screened outdoor enclosure. The little guy's not very big and has tons or room. I got lots of great enclosure ideas from reading old posts here and TerryO has inspired me with her use of plants for Pio's enclosures. I planted lots of safe tiny potted plants. Coleus, wandering jew, areca palm, spider plants and ferns. I also had collected several edible trees over the last year and have variegated cactus and weeping mulberry from coastal ready to feed as well as fig trees started and plenty of hibiscus which grows great year-round here. Funny thing is it's really hard to grow dandelion down here. Most other places it's everywhere!
I will attempt to post pictures when I figure that out.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I just got an Oren baby recently from Allegra and may have a Gogo baby as well (though we're not entirely sure as the eggs were found outside). Congrats on the new hatchling, you should put some pictures up when you can! You bought from one of the best!

Oh, and I'm jealous you got to see Carl's tortoises, he's got some real lookers! I hope he posts up some pictures soon, where is that guy!?!?

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Thanks, Charlie, it was great to meet you. I can't wait for pics either!

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
allegraf said:
Thanks, Charlie, it was great to meet you. I can't wait for pics either!

Here are two:

The enclosure is 3' by 5' and 12" deep. The bottom is totally screened with hardware cloth and has about 4 inches of cypress mulch in it. The whole enclosure is built up on a deep layer of mulch. About one third of the top is solid 2X6's with various pots and hides under it. It's pretty easy to keep humid right now in Florida. We get lots of rain storms and constant 70-80% plus humidity. I still keep the mulch moist and the added potted plants help.

Even though he has eaten well and drank some he mostly hides and sleeps.

I will post more photos.

Attachments

• tort enclosure.jpg
    tort enclosure.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 116
  • tort 2.jpg
    tort 2.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 119

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Predator proof for sure! Looks wonderful!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Charlie, I am simply green with envy! You got to go to both of their places! Wow that has got to be so amazing. I won't even add how envious I am of you having figs. I worked so hard last year to buy and grow about 8 of them. I had them survive winter, then all but one died once I placed them back outside (well the living one was my experimental one which I had simply left outside all winter). :( Your plant list sounds so wonderful, along with everything else. Very impressive!

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Carl, Allegra and her husband were totally normal and great to meet. I also loved seeing the torts. It's nice to meet experienced people willing to answer questions, take time to talk and be so proud of their herds. Yes, I am pretty lucky.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Thanks guys. He pretty much just hangs out hiding under some plants. He has that large covered area with two different hides under it but after the first two days stays out even in the heavy Florida rain. I have seen him drink more than eat. Every morning I put him in his saucer full of fresh warm water. Sometimes he hangs out and drinks other times he heads back for cover. There are many plants for him to pick at but I have seen him eat hibiscus flowers and some mulberry leave pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.