DSC_0583.jpg

DSC_0591.jpg

DSC_0585.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks like she has gotten pretty dark already. It would be nice, as ALDABRAMAN I believe stated, if you would keep this an ongoing thread of here progress. As you know, we don't have many Aldabras on here. Except for the few that ALDABRAMAN has held back for a growing experiment, which he then sold (CC:(:p ) you are the only other one that I know of on here to raise one from a hatchling.

Jerry7777

5 Year Member
OKLAHOMA
Thanks Greg.
i don't know if you can see it or not but in the second pic of her, notice how the new growth between the scutes is raised so much. Is that pretty consistent with the growth of yours also? will it go down as the scutes grow? I really dont want her to have any pyramiding!! though this is kind of the opposite.

wellington said:
Looks like she has gotten pretty dark already. It would be nice, as ALDABRAMAN I believe stated, if you would keep this an ongoing thread of here progress. As you know, we don't have many Aldabras on here. Except for the few that ALDABRAMAN has held back for a growing experiment, which he then sold (CC:(:p ) you are the only other one that I know of on here to raise one from a hatchling.
Don't worry i will be posting as often as possible!!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Jerry7777 said:
Thanks Greg.
i don't know if you can see it or not but in the second pic of her, notice how the new growth between the scutes is raised so much. Is that pretty consistent with the growth of yours also? will it go down as the scutes grow? I really dont want her to have any pyramiding!! though this is kind of the opposite.

wellington said:
Don't worry i will be posting as often as possible!!

Yes, I see what you are speaking of. I do not know why some do that! Some of ours have done that and others have not. It never continues past the first bump/growth mark. We have been consistent and still have some do that. My original thoughts were that they are growing too fast at first, however now I am not sure. Kristina had a great response in another thread about that same issue, I can't find it now. The ones I notice that do that are the first to hatch out of the clutch and seem to develop very fast in growth. I hope someone, maybe Kristina can repost her answer here again. My thoughts is that she will continue to grow smooth from this point on, some of ours have followed that pattern.

Is she over 30 days old yet?

Jerry7777

5 Year Member
OKLAHOMA
ALDABRAMAN said:
Yes, I see what you are speaking of. I do not know why some do that! Some of ours have done that and others have not. It never continues past the first bump/growth mark. We have been consistent and still have some do that. My original thoughts were that they are growing too fast at first, however now I am not sure. Kristina had a great response in another thread about that same issue, I can't find it now. The ones I notice that do that are the first to hatch out of the clutch and seem to develop very fast in growth. I hope someone, maybe Kristina can repost her answer here again. My thoughts is that she will continue to grow smooth from this point on, some of ours have followed that pattern.

Yes. She hatched on Feb. 6. It really has only started doing this since she has had her big growth spurt. She has grown a lot over the last 2 weeks or so. So maybe that does have something to do with it.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Jerry7777 said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

Yes. She hatched on Feb. 6. It really has only started doing this since she has had her big growth spurt. She has grown a lot over the last 2 weeks or so. So maybe that does have something to do with it.

That is what we have noticed also, the ones that seem to grow slower are the ones that do not have that upward growth.

Jerry7777

5 Year Member
OKLAHOMA
Getting a little darker after a few hours of sunshine the last two days. 80 degrees here the last two days!
DSC_0603.jpg

DSC_0613.jpg

DSC_0610.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
She has really changed since you first showed her to us when you first got her. I am impressed.

Jerry7777

5 Year Member
OKLAHOMA
just a quick update. I think we have decided to name her Asha, which is an African name meaning "life". Also, she is now up to 108grams. A few new pics from her time outside today.

DSC_0680.jpg

DSC_0694.jpg

DSC_0729.jpg

DSC_0740.jpg

DSC_0723.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She's a looker. I like the name. She must have enjoyed the sun and all that great greenery to eat.

Jerry7777

5 Year Member
OKLAHOMA
Thanks. i forgot to mention all the little white specks on her shell is just dried pieces of sphagnum moss, not bugs or anything like that!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Jerry7777 said:
Thanks. i forgot to mention all the little white specks on her shell is just dried pieces of sphagnum moss, not bugs or anything like that!

:p It looked to me like pieces of here substrate from digging in!

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Okay, sorry to hijack, but can someone tell me if these guys grow fast like a sulcata? How long to reach adulthood? I want one soo bad but they live so long and I want to see it full grown. Babies are great and all, but I want to see it grown up.

Status
Not open for further replies.