New Aldabra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry7777

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OKLAHOMA
Just got my first Aldabra hatchling. She is from Bob Clarks captive female and fathered by a male from the Tulsa Zoo here in Oklahoma, so she is an Oklahoma born and bred Aldabra! She hatched on Feb. 6 at the Tulsa Zoo. She doesn't have a name yet, still working on that... well her she is

DSC_0270.jpg

DSC_0284.jpg

DSC_0262.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Now that is a face that would melt any heart. So Clark has atleast one of his females living at the zoo for breeding?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Jerry7777 said:
Just got my first Aldabra hatchling. She is from Bob Clarks captive female and fathered by a male from the Tulsa Zoo here in Oklahoma, so she is an Oklahoma born and bred Aldabra! She hatched on Feb. 6 at the Tulsa Zoo. She doesn't have a name yet, still working on that... well her she is

DSC_0270.jpg

DSC_0284.jpg

DSC_0262.jpg

WOW, That little one is still brown, very young for sure.

Jerry7777

5 Year Member
OKLAHOMA
Thank you. Yes he does have at least one female at the zoo for breeding not sure how long she will be there though.

Jerry7777

5 Year Member
OKLAHOMA
Yes she still has her egg tooth. Yes Greg she was only 6 days old when we got her last saturday at the NARBC show in Arlington,Tx. I think i took these photos last sunday but she is still very brown. She has not yet been able to get out in the sunshine its just been too cold here, but maybe this week we are supposed to see the mid 60's. So just the UV light for now. I'm using a 10.0 flourescent UVB bulb. Do you think that is sufficient for her?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Jerry7777 said:
Yes she still has her egg tooth. Yes Greg she was only 6 days old when we got her last saturday at the NARBC show in Arlington,Tx. I think i took these photos last sunday but she is still very brown. She has not yet been able to get out in the sunshine its just been too cold here, but maybe this week we are supposed to see the mid 60's. So just the UV light for now. I'm using a 10.0 flourescent UVB bulb. Do you think that is sufficient for her?

:tort: Ours turn colors within the first ten days. We keep ours outside during the day in the pure sunshine.

15mgwzt.jpg

Jerry7777

5 Year Member
OKLAHOMA
Wow. Hopefully she can go out tomorrow or at least this week. Just too cold still. When do yours usually start eating Mazuri? She hasn't shown any interest in it yet.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Aldabraman what would be the signification of no nuchal scute?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Jerry7777 said:
Wow. Hopefully she can go out tomorrow or at least this week. Just too cold still. When do yours usually start eating Mazuri? She hasn't shown any interest in it yet.

:tort: We do not feed any of our new hatchlings any commercial foods.

:rolleyes: The one you have is very young, has the egg sack closed all the way and healed?

:p If possible to post a picture of the bottom for a visual!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
dmmj said:
Aldabraman what would be the signification of no nuchal scute?

:p 1.34% of all aldabras genetically do not have a nuchal scute. We have hatched some, however most always have it.

:D This is a good picture of one with a nice nuchal scute!

2rc7iad.jpg

:D This a good picture of one that does not have a nuchal scute!

2rdjgo2.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
wow, that is Young.. Id be scared..
I really wish breeders would hold them for at least 2-3 months before selling.. get them started well and on the right track..

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Laura said:
wow, that is Young.. Id be scared..
I really wish breeders would hold them for at least 2-3 months before selling.. get them started well and on the right track..

:tort: Lets hope all will be fine!

Jerry7777

5 Year Member
OKLAHOMA
No need to be scared or intimidated by them being young as far as im concerned, as long as all needs are met there's no reason she shouldn't be fine. I've raised plenty of young torts and hatched and raised many other reptiles before including chameleons and geckos. i see nothing wrong with selling young animals that are going to someone who is experienced with keeping other tortoises or reptiles in general. Aldabras are said to be one of the more forgiving species, so as long as basic husbandry needs are met all should be fine. This one has already received more attention than any tortoise that i've ever owned that's for sure!!! Greg, i will try to take a few pics of her underside tomorrow, hopefully outside in the sunshine:)

i almost forgot, i actually think she does have a nuchal scute. It's just so small it's hard to see in the pics;)

Status
Not open for further replies.