New Aldabra/Galapagos Exhibit! Thoughts Please?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
Hey Kelly if you need help with this project let me know I wouldn't giving you a hand bro.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
ALDABRAMAN said:
Tom said:
tortadise said:
36" tall enough or could I do like 32"?

We go at least 30" (3 2x10'S)at the shortest, however a large male can get his front paw over the edge!

Thats what I gathered from your pen photos. Didnt know if they were 2x10 or 12's if I did 3 2x12 that would put the wall at 33 1/2" which should be good id think. Plus maybe a 2x4 cap sideways for some fanciness, bringing it to 35". Yeah should be fine.

Oh I cant wait either. Pouring concrete friday at 2. And then it begins. The mexican in me will get to work. :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah I cant wait. I love building new enclosures for torts. Im also constructing a 20x40 greenhouse same time as this enclosure. I will get some photos up soon of that too.

AustinASU said:
Hey Kelly if you need help with this project let me know I wouldn't giving you a hand bro.

Dude your like 6 hours away. When i get all these new buildings completed in about 3-4 weeks, I plan on having an opening for viewing, gonna grill some burgers and hot dogs, some brews, i invited the local USFW hub team too, and lots of locals that support me (well kinda support me in spirit more or less). Once I get a good date and everything is up and running I will send an open invite to the forum members and anyone who wants to come. Kinda a little fundraiser thing too. But if you feel like driving all that way come on, I got all the tools and knowledge going to be framing the big boy building and greenhouse sunday.

waterboy

5 Year Member
Riverbank, CA
I sounds like it will be awesome.I do like the idea about putting a 2 or 3 small hills to spruce up the look a little and give the a view. Also are you going to have a mud hole i know aldabras love them, since your putting in a sprinkler system you can dig a hole and run a under ground drip line or pump to it so it would always be full of water. Well thanks my 2 cents worth

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
tortadise said:
Yeah I cant wait. I love building new enclosures for torts. Im also constructing a 20x40 greenhouse same time as this enclosure. I will get some photos up soon of that too.

AustinASU said:

Dude your like 6 hours away. When i get all these new buildings completed in about 3-4 weeks, I plan on having an opening for viewing, gonna grill some burgers and hot dogs, some brews, i invited the local USFW hub team too, and lots of locals that support me (well kinda support me in spirit more or less). Once I get a good date and everything is up and running I will send an open invite to the forum members and anyone who wants to come. Kinda a little fundraiser thing too. But if you feel like driving all that way come on, I got all the tools and knowledge going to be framing the big boy building and greenhouse sunday.

ehhh it's more like 4hrs not too bad, but shoot when you get it done you can bet ill be there.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
In progress on the greenhouse now. Still waiting for the concrete to cure on this building. I will probably be framing this guy up in th enext few days. Gotta a lot of work to do for a one man army.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
tortadise said:
In progress on the greenhouse now. Still waiting for the concrete to cure on this building. I will probably be framing this guy up in th enext few days. Gotta a lot of work to do for a one man army.

Haha have fun man....those greenhouses are super fun to put together...especially if the wind is blowing :p

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah with 10' tall walls on a 12" thick footing. I had some trouble muscling up the walls yesterday with the HUGE PSL beams I used for the window headers. Its gonna be cool though. Worth the effort.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
tortadise said:
Yeah with 10' tall walls on a 12" thick footing. I had some trouble muscling up the walls yesterday with the HUGE PSL beams I used for the window headers. Its gonna be cool though. Worth the effort.

Kelly, pics!

tortadise said:
Worth the effort.

:D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Theyre coming soon. Im getting off work early and about to be in route to the facilities. I will get some up tonight for everyone.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
OK I will post the progress of the big boy enclosure progress here, and the greenhouse progress on the other thread. Not much has been done on the big boy building but the slab. I used a higher strength PSI concrete on the greenhouse so it allowed me to frame on it earlier. Im waiting for the cylinder break tests to come back on the big boy slab before I can frame on it. But should be good tomorrow or wednesday. So the only progress is just the concrete.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
ALDABRAMAN said:
tortadise said:

Kelly, pics!

tortadise said:
Worth the effort.

:D

I second this motion of pictures:)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
OK. Finally some progress on this building. Its all framed and ready for sheething and roof decking. I worked my butt off today. Even worked through the afternoon rain shower. :D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well Im usually not a good photo person when it comes to step by step or anything like that. I regret not doing progress photos, like on my rent house overhaul, all the buildings I build. I always go man why didnt I take photos. So I am forcing myself to get better. I know how much ya'll love the photos too. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.