New Aldabra/Galapagos Exhibit! Thoughts Please?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Well here at the tortoise sanctuary we recieved a little bit of funding. So me being a go getter started to construct the new exhibit for either Large aldabras, and or galapagos tortoises, so when schools come out for field trips can see the true image of a tortoise at our facilities. Unfortunately the donation is barely enough to complete the enclosure and building. Luckily I will fund a vast majority of the rest.

I have cleared the trees and added 45 more feet in width to the enclosure area, as well as not to enclude the pond I dug for the animals, as it is too deep. The building is formed up, pouring concrete this weekend, and framing after it cures the following week.

Currently the enclosure is 127' long and 85' wide, with a side yard of covered trees behind the sulcata and leopard building that is 14' by 107'.

These are progress photos, so dont worry their will be a perimeter fence placed in front of the barb wire fence.

Any suggestions on anything would be great.
I wanted to make a built up planter in the middle of the enclosure about 30 feet in front of the enclosure and fill it with palms,banana trees, and maybe crape murtyle trees.

Im going to seed this area with a graze grass mix, as well as irrigate the area with baseball field sprinkler heads for maximum "rain" coverage.

Well lets here some options from people.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The man to ask for advice, would be Greg ALDABRAMAN. If anyone knows Aldabras, well of course he does. Good luck with your endeavor.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
wellington said:
The man to ask for advice, would be Greg ALDABRAMAN. If anyone knows Aldabras, well of course he does. Good luck with your endeavor.

yeah I have asked him a few things, I just want to bother him too much. I was thinking like terms of how to put a little more design in it. I obviously dont want to take much room from the enclosure. But I do love making the pens fully planted and have a great tropical island feel to it. There is one corner of the enclosure I planned to make a 30x30 sand/nesting box for them in the shaded portion along the creek side.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Looks great! Some of the thngs i can share from experience is that large aldabras are strong and determined. They do not back up or turn around easy, they need open space without obstacles. Everything you build needs to be very strong and best to use wood, avoid concrete and any metal if possible. Your project is exciting!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
the door will be 5' wide clear. Im going to utilize a barn hinge so it can open and be latched to the building. So 5' clear is what I left for the door. And yes once I frame the building the fence will be tied into the back corner on the right side of the building, as well as the left side of the building the permiter fence will tie into the front left corner of the building. I hated cutting off that corner on the left side of the building but, I figured this would be a favorable spot for biggens to wedge themselves into. Im going with a smooth radius style corners on the enclosure walls. What do you think mr.greg?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So at this point other then of course the grass, the only planting inside the enclosure will be the planter. Will they be allowed to get into it? Where are you going to place their water hole?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How about a walk in pond?
A grassy knoll or two?
Some boulders and felled trees for furniture and some sight barriers?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Tom said:
How about a walk in pond?
A grassy knoll or two?
Some boulders and felled trees for furniture and some sight barriers?

HAHA. I thought of doing a pond (hence the huge hole in the picture) but it really is a HUGE pain to mantenance. So the fence stops there and the zebras(my moms soon to be pets) will have the pond. Im just gonna go with the good ol giant water dishes from tractor supply. I use them for my dogs, and greg seems to use them too so figure Id follow the master.

Jacqui said:
So at this point other then of course the grass, the only planting inside the enclosure will be the planter. Will they be allowed to get into it? Where are you going to place their water hole?

I would not allow them access to the planter. I would build it up with same material as enclosure walls, about 4' in height also helps with direct shade onto the building. However they have a total of 219 feet length of 14-35' of tree canopy cover so I might not need the planter, just thinking for the building since im going to put a couple windows on either side of the door.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
tortadise said:
the door will be 5' wide clear. Im going to utilize a barn hinge so it can open and be latched to the building. So 5' clear is what I left for the door. And yes once I frame the building the fence will be tied into the back corner on the right side of the building, as well as the left side of the building the permiter fence will tie into the front left corner of the building. I hated cutting off that corner on the left side of the building but, I figured this would be a favorable spot for biggens to wedge themselves into. Im going with a smooth radius style corners on the enclosure walls. What do you think mr.greg?

Good, I changed my responce while you were answering. Great forward thinking on the corners and rear of the building to avoid getting stuck or wedged. What type of fencing?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well since their pen or habitate is along side a huge limestone creek (behind all the trees to the left of the building) Im going to place 4x4 posts 4 foot on centers and then 2x12s fastened to the posts. 24" augered and concreted in, with 2x2 welded wire and 2x6 supports, Then I will place the 2x12s over the fence. Or I could do the permiter fence and then auger in the 36-48" high enclosure wall by its self giving a double barrier. I want to keep the perimeter fence at least see through because its a very pretty piece of property. I have been price comparing chain link, But I think the welded 16 gauge wire is more sturdy. What do you think? This step will come in about 2-3 weeks once the building is complete and I can attach it to their house.

On another note, You sure 20x16 isnt too small. I Like to do things for future considerations. I think I might make it 30x16 what do you think?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
tortadise said:

Your wood is great and should be strong enough. I have seen large aldabras actually push over lite guage chain link, heavy dudy commercial grade with 9ot tention wires should hold them in if you use all steel ties to tie it all together. What i have seen happen if you use both wood and wire fening together is aldabras will try and climb over. Florida Iguana has a video of his male climbing over, i do not know how to copy it here, however it is a prime example. Your double wall idea is great, that is what we do.

chris_m90731

5 Year Member
I've seen some min-hills in several large galop enclosures -- heard it gives the tortoise a little obstacle, cut the boredom a bit.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
ALDABRAMAN said:
tortadise said:

Your wood is great and should be strong enough. I have seen large aldabras actually push over lite guage chain link, heavy dudy commercial grade with 9ot tention wires should hold them in if you use all steel ties to tie it all together. What i have seen happen if you use both wood and wire fening together is aldabras will try and climb over. Florida Iguana has a video of his male climbing over, i do not know how to copy it here, however it is a prime example. Your double wall idea is great, that is what we do.

Hmmm. Maybe I should do the double barrier fence then. I will figure it out when I get there in a few weeks. I wouldnt want a biggen climbing out.

chris_m90731 said:
I've seen some min-hills in several large galop enclosures -- heard it gives the tortoise a little obstacle, cut the boredom a bit.

Hills.......now thats a good idea. non obstuctive and easy to do. Seeing as I do have a skid steer, and a few acres of dirt I can dig up.

OK Ive made my mind up. I think instead of doing the 2x12 for the enclosure walls. Im going to use some landscape timbers with the posts sunk in concrete behind the timbers. I think this would give a good look as well as add a more sturdy barrier. 36" tall enough or could I do like 32"?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I think it is going to be superb. also it is going to be either species first in this enclosure. The latter of the two that will get the exact same size enclosure just mirrored on the opposite side if the property. So hopefully sponsorship comes through. I have a meeting with USFW confiscation team in hopefully aquiring some permanent program specimens.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
tortadise said:
I think this would give a good look as well as add a more sturdy barrier. 36" tall enough or could I do like 32"?

This is certainly a Greg question, but I only do 16-18" for adult sulcatas.

Status
Not open for further replies.