New aggression in Red Foot.

Eternus

Location (City and/or State)
Edmonton
Hello, I'm reaching out to try and figure out what to do about the new aggressive behaviour of my tortoise.

Some background;

Kiwi - approx. 18 years old
Mango - 8 years old.

Both are female, and both have lived together very well for several years. Being in Alberta, Canada outdoor living is impossible. They are in a custom built habitat that is 8 feet x 3 feet base with a smaller upper floor. They both have individual hides, with communal basking and feeding spots. The upper floor is a little sparse, since they kept throwing everything down over the railing.

Starting just this year Kiwi is being a huge bully, biting at and body slamming Mango. Some days seem just fine, and other days I have to keep pulling them apart. I plan on doing some remodeling to give Mango some more places to hide but if anyone has some insight I would really appreciate it.

I will say I did look through the forums here, and while there are many instances of aggressive behaviour none seemed to fit what was going on. I got Kiwi as a rehome, and Mango as a hatchling. They have known each other for 8 years and have lived together full time for at least 5 years.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Tortoises should never live as pairs. You are seeing why. They need separate enclosures ASAP. This is very stressful on both of them.

We had a member here a few years ago that ignored this advice with her two redfoot tortoises. A few weeks later she came back asking what to do as one had eaten the tail and a back leg or the other one.