New African Leopard Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You may have to put him in it for him to get used to using it. I would also lock him in it at night and put a board in front so he stays in. It might also help if you put the hide in a sunny place, so the sun can help heat it up. Also, covering it with a black something, like tarp or something will help to attract the heat and may help to hold the heat in for the night.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
RE: [split] New African Leopard Tortoise

wellington said:
The first post that was deleted I do believe should be put back in. It's not the point that it is covered already Jaizel, if that were the case, we can all stop answering threads as all the answers are already here somewhere. It's the fact that an experienced member with knowledge of not only the species but most of its home land has taken the time to answer the op. I get it that I am a fan of Toms, but I also get the impression, a few of your REALLY are not. If the post answers the op questions, without name calling, then why was it deleted? Jacqui, I didn't notice the threads that were deleted. I went back and read the original thread and didn't notice Toms whole thread missing. I figured a couple were deleted ( the op and yagyujubel as they they did the name calling and then some editing. Yes Tom asked why it was deleted. Said he spent a lot of time doing it and doesn't think it's right it was deleted and I agree. If he were name calling and bashing it would be a different story, he wasn't.

The post was the catalyst for the bickering. Leaving Tom's posts and removing those criticizing him gives the impression of favoritism. In the past, I had posts in which I called no names or broke any rules deleted, all because Tom or Dean responded with such. Life goes on.

What is wrong with Dennis' post here:
So, if he doesn't do exactly as you say, the hell with him? I'm curious why you seem to consider his care as "neglect". I don't agree. There's a difference between helpful advice, and forcing your ideas on someone.

I think it is an apt description of Tom's behavior. What rule does it break? And I guarantee that Dennis' opinions expressed in this thread is far more common than you realize.

Has anyone else complained?

Tyronne Fourie

5 Year Member
I will try putting it inside there every night. Closing it up just doesn't feel right to me. Also I think I will make a bigger, wooden pen. I can go by my father and see if he has some wood lying around, if he does, I can probably dish out and make it decent, by adding a heat source.

So I just let it soak in a big container with water. At first I let it lie in there for 10 minutes, but when I came I caught it busy drinking water, so I put down some thin slices of carrots in the water and let it lie some more, because it hadn't pooped yet. Second time I came back I gently and slowly poured water over it and afterwards, lightly scrubbed it with a toothbrush. It squirmed allot, trying to get away, and also pooped while I was scrubbing it. Did it poop out of fear, or should I have left it longer than 15 minutes?

It was still and 'calm' the first 10, but by 15 it was trying to get out when I came there already.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A bigger house would be great, also a heat source if you can. Lots of tortoises don't like their soaks, some do. I have a two year old leopard. He doesn't mind his soaks until he poops. When he is done pooping, he doesn't want to soak any more. This is even after I give him clean water again. Give him some time, he will get used to you, it takes a while. Then, again, some tortoises don't ever want to be bothered with.

Tyronne Fourie

5 Year Member
Yea. With my UN-trained eye, and with what I read online, I judge it about 5 years old, from the lines on its carapace. Apparently, it's not really a reliable way of judging though, because good years and bad years, can produce more lines then one in a single year, or even none. What I am getting at, is that it could be set in its ways already, never interacting with people, like the saying; 'you can't teach a old dog new tricks'. Of course I don't know this, I'm just hoping it's not like that.

I read tortoises have personalities. I read of where a tortoise goes to his owner 'knocking' at the door, looking for food. Also watched a documentary of Owen and Mzee, after having read this story to the children at my school, way before I had this tortoise. I am pretty sure and hoping it will still open up to us in a sense. I saw its neck fully erect, walking around boldly eating food while I was in the kitchen today, I am used to it cowering more, kinda still staying behind cover while eating.

If it doesn't like its wooden pen, I will be sure to make it big enough, so that I can lock it in there at night times and not feel bad about it. My father says he should have some planks in his garage. Going to go fetch it tomorrow. I am not the best carpenter though, haha.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tyronne Fourie said:
Yea. With my UN-trained eye, and with what I read online, I judge it about 5 years old, from the lines on its carapace. Apparently, it's not really a reliable way of judging though, because good years and bad years, can produce more lines then one in a single year, or even none. What I am getting at, is that it could be set in its ways already, never interacting with people, like the saying; 'you can't teach a old dog new tricks'. Of course I don't know this, I'm just hoping it's not like that.

I read tortoises have personalities. I read of where a tortoise goes to his owner 'knocking' at the door, looking for food. Also watched a documentary of Owen and Mzee, after having read this story to the children at my school, way before I had this tortoise. I am pretty sure and hoping it will still open up to us in a sense. I saw its neck fully erect, walking around boldly eating food while I was in the kitchen today, I am used to it cowering more, kinda still staying behind cover while eating.

If it doesn't like its wooden pen, I will be sure to make it big enough, so that I can lock it in there at night times and not feel bad about it. My father says he should have some planks in his garage. Going to go fetch it tomorrow. I am not the best carpenter though, haha.

Actually you can teach an old dog new tricks, tortoises, well that's a whole different story.:D I'm sure he will come around. Sounds like he already is a bit. As for your carpentry work, the good thing is, tortoises don't care and don't judge ya LOL. Most everyone who gets colder weather will lock their torts in at night. To keep them from going out into the cold night weather and also to keep night time tort predators away. If you can, build a box large enough that if you get a heat source, he can move away from being either under it or over it, depending on what type you may use. Even a regular lamp 60 watt light bulb will help to give some heat.

Tyronne Fourie

5 Year Member
Yea, that's the plan. In an ideal world I would like to make the roof a hatch, so it can open and close, as well as have it big enough so the tortoise can move closer or further away from the heat source. I have no idea how much wood there is. I will post some pictures tomorrow or the day after, depending on whether I finish it while the sun is still up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You could make it with a flat top and just lay the top on it so it can be removed. Maybe, if its not real heavy wood, you could put a heavy rock on top, that's if you have critters that might want to eat him to worry about. Excited to see your handy work:)

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
In the wild, your tortoise would probably sit out the winter in an old antbear burrow (or something similar). Some South African keepers believe that they brumate or hibernate for several months underground until the weather warms again. If you're able, you might want to expand your hide to approximate this type of burrow. I would probably line it with hay, and maybe cover the entire thing with a couple bales of hay or straw for the winter.

Tyronne Fourie

5 Year Member
I read somewhere, I cant recall where, that the African Leopard tortoise only slows down and doesn't actually hibernate? I also read that if you provide enough heat they wont need to hibernate. Of course I don't know yet. Either way, I want to make it as large as possible,

it all depends on the amount of wood available, and I will cover the floor with straw yes. I will have to figure something out considering a power cable for the heat source.
I will probably have to buy a very long cable, have it going around the edges of the yard up until it reaches the house, and then install a light.
I will also have to wait till Monday for the shops to open for hinges, cable, the light and its attachment.

Come to think of it, a regular bulb scares me, this place is thick with fog. I should look for some sort of water proof casing for the light I guess. Also for if it rains. Like I said, I'm no carpenter! I am also curious as to what my handy work will look like! :)

Edit; Maybe I can outline the inside of the house with pig blanket, stapled to the wall and ceiling.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, your correct, leopards don't hibernate. A pig blanket, if its the same as our pig blanket is a heated mat. Just one of those for him to lay on, yet also be able to get off of would be great. Thats what a lot of tortoise keepers use that get colder temps. Just don't put any hay or any other kind of substrate on it. Is this the kind of pig blanket your talking about?
76c151177bc98385d44ae0777d8036ab.jpg

Tyronne Fourie

5 Year Member
No, I was talking about a cheap, thick, ugly blanket that one would usually put in a dogs kennel. I am not sure whether it's actually called a pig blanket, I apologize, I was merely using my intuition, assuming that's what a pig blanket was.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tyronne Fourie said:
No, I was talking about a cheap, thick, ugly blanket that one would usually put in a dogs kennel. I am not sure whether it's actually called a pig blanket, I apologize, I was merely using my intuition, assuming that's what a pig blanket was.

No problem.

Tyronne Fourie

5 Year Member
Something came up and we couldn't go, I am still going to post pictures when the new home is done. My tortoise is only eating plants, (mostly sweet potato leaves) its diet is supposed to be mostly grass is it not? We have some hay and grass nearby, but it's not eating it. How should I react / should I react?

Status
Not open for further replies.