New addition (craigslist save)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Akron, OH
Seen this guy on craigslist today and convinced my girlfriend to buy it for me as a birthday present (shes the best). Poor guy was kept in a ten gallon tank with no heater, no basking lamp, and no way to get out of the water. I don't want to know how long hes been kept like that. I'm pretty sure hes a Pelusios castaneus, West African Brown Mud:
2rftzrb.jpg

And here is his temporary quarantine enclosure, until I can get his 40 gallon set up:
24vijo5.jpg

I am very happy to have him with us and I think hes happy to be warm. I'm still doing my research. Anyone ever keep sidenecks? Have any good caresheets. Hope you enjoy the pics I just wanted to share my new buddy.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Well done! It's amazing how many Craig's list posts there are to re-home reptiles. So many people just have no idea what they're getting into...

B K

5 Year Member
Very nice I didn't check craigslist today how far did you have to go to get him.

DerekS

5 Year Member
Akron, OH
Thanks for the comments. He was only a half hour away from me. In Deerfield. And I'm leaning towards female now.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Nice save! Glad he's with you now. Sidenecks can basically be kept like mud/musk turtles on a larger scale.

DerekS

5 Year Member
Akron, OH
First bask in who knows how long. Shes still getting used to the move but seems to be doing well.
kb3dsi.jpg

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Shelly i like the little video. yeah it is amazing how many reptiles be them birds or turtles that people get rid of because they lose interest or didn't realize what they got themselves into

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I agree looks like it might be pretty easy to climb out, nice setup though, they are shallow dwellers so they don't like a lot of water. Be fore warned CL is almost as addictive as TFO, when it comes to rescuing.

I would suggest trying to set up it's basking spot in the middle away from the edges.

DerekS

5 Year Member
Akron, OH
dmmj said:
I agree looks like it might be pretty easy to climb out, nice setup though, they are shallow dwellers so they don't like a lot of water. Be fore warned CL is almost as addictive as TFO, when it comes to rescuing.

I would suggest trying to set up it's basking spot in the middle away from the edges.

No worries, she was only in there for like 3 days. And from what I've read Pelusios castaneus are relatively strong swimmers, so shes set up in a 75 gallon now. Yes craigslist is very addicting!

Status
Not open for further replies.