Never knew a lizard could be so funny!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
My last post about Thistle was that she was hiding under the substrate all the time, so I removed a lot of it. We have managed a truce...I am more sensitive to her daily schedule, and she allows me to pick her up with no biting, and very little resistance. ??

So, the other day she suddenly "discovered" how to have fun in her enclosure. She climbs into the pot with the pothos, races (at skink speed) across the top of her hide, dives into a small pile of substrate, climbs up onto her rock-like decoration. Then face plants coming down.

But the best is that she has discovered that water isn't just for drinking. She's been practicing her walk-on-water routine, much to my delight. On one afternoon, she did this at least a dozen times.

I caught it the best I could on her camera...

View attachment event1598478248000_2CAA8E7FEEFC011598478248.mp4

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
My last post about Thistle was that she was hiding under the substrate all the time, so I removed a lot of it. We have managed a truce...I am more sensitive to her daily schedule, and she allows me to pick her up with no biting, and very little resistance. ??

So, the other day she suddenly "discovered" how to have fun in her enclosure. She climbs into the pot with the pothos, races (at skink speed) across the top of her hide, dives into a small pile of substrate, climbs up onto her rock-like decoration. Then face plants coming down.

But the best is that she has discovered that water isn't just for drinking. She's been practicing her walk-on-water routine, much to my delight. On one afternoon, she did this at least a dozen times.

I caught it the best I could on her camera...

View attachment 304539
That’s something similar that my tortoise does, sometimes when I don’t soak it.
It will climb it’s food bowl which I spray with water and sit there until it poops. And then it gets back to eating

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
That’s something similar that my tortoise does, sometimes when I don’t soak it.
It will climb it’s food bowl which I spray with water and sit there until it poops. And then it gets back to eating
That's something I've noticed about Thistle that's so different from torts.

It seems everything sticks to torts. Get a tort wet and you may as well break open a new bag of substrate. It will all be in the water dish. And torts have so many places for particles to get lodged. Legs, tail, and neck area mostly.

Skinks have incredibly smooth skin/scales. Nothing sticks to Thistle, and so her water stays pristine. I can't even tell when she's wet.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
My daughter Emogene has a skink named Joanna. She is sweet.

I like where Joanna is tucked into!

I will be trying to train Thistle to stay on me, so I could take her some place with me. A leash wouldn't stay on her, and she definitely didn't like it when I tried putting her in a big loose pocket.

I can't work on much of that yet though. We're still getting to know each other and I'm desperately trying not to screw up with her!

"Joanna"...is there a story behind that name?

It's good to see you posting from LA...are you out of harm's way?

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I like where Joanna is tucked into!

I will be trying to train Thistle to stay on me, so I could take her some place with me. A leash wouldn't stay on her, and she definitely didn't like it when I tried putting her in a big loose pocket.

I can't work on much of that yet though. We're still getting to know each other and I'm desperately trying not to screw up with her!

"Joanna"...is there a story behind that name?

It's good to see you posting from LA...are you out of harm's way?
We are safe. Thank you for asking. We had wind and rain but not too much. Only lost power for 30 minutes. 2.5 hours from us is a different story. Devastation.

Emogene uses Disney characters for her pets’ names. Joanna is a lizard from the Rescuers Down Under. You are correct, a leash won’t work with those puny legs. Em has had her or him for a year and a half. She handles her all the time. She uses a smaller cardboard box when transporting her to the vet. At first, Joanna would pee and poop on her. She has gotten much better about that and even tolerates me. Em also has a bearded dragon named Mushu. He gets very jealous of Joanna.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
We are safe. Thank you for asking. We had wind and rain but not too much. Only lost power for 30 minutes. 2.5 hours from us is a different story. Devastation.

Emogene uses Disney characters for her pets’ names. Joanna is a lizard from the Rescuers Down Under. You are correct, a leash won’t work with those puny legs. Em has had her or him for a year and a half. She handles her all the time. She uses a smaller cardboard box when transporting her to the vet. At first, Joanna would pee and poop on her. She has gotten much better about that and even tolerates me. Em also has a bearded dragon named Mushu. He gets very jealous of Joanna.
I knew i knew that name!! Its the poachers lizard!!