Nestled

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
Doing the night rounds. It's dropping into the 50's tonight and the russian tortoises have either dug burrows, or nestled themselves under leaves and logs.

Attachments

• 20211015_194305.jpg
    20211015_194305.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 40
  • 20211015_194313.jpg
    20211015_194313.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 41

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't let my Russian get that cold. Anything below 60 and he gets put into his winter home.
I wouldn't think that little bit of cover would keep him warm enough down into the 50's.
Unless of course you are letting them brumate out there but they would still need more cover.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I don't let my Russian get that cold. Anything below 60 and he gets put into his winter home.
I wouldn't think that little bit of cover would keep him warm enough down into the 50's.
Unless of course you are letting them brumate out there but they would still need more cover.
They have hide homes they go into. This one decided not to go inside, but dig under the tree stumps instead; do I didn't disturb her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're lucky you found him. I try to gather mine all up to brumate in a dry, cool spot on the carport, and I waited too late. I got all the females, but the male has found a very good hiding place. I've GOT to find him though because the fence that separates his yard from the street out front is going to be removed during a road widening project. I know he won't wake up and escape, but I'd just rather find him!

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
You're lucky you found him. I try to gather mine all up to brumate in a dry, cool spot on the carport, and I waited too late. I got all the females, but the male has found a very good hiding place. I've GOT to find him though because the fence that separates his yard from the street out front is going to be removed during a road widening project. I know he won't wake up and escape, but I'd just rather find him!
Yeah I'm going to put all mine in tonight