NESTING OR JUST DIGGING?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meacreynolds

5 Year Member
I have a sulcata that we were told was a male but now he/she is digging in one area and we dont know if its nesting. The other male we have was mounting here and being vocal. I was told that it was dominance but now I am having my doubts about it. Please any help is appreciated.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Is he/she digging with the front or back legs? How big are they? (The torts not the legs lol)

It may just be looking for a good spot for a burrow. Sulcatas dig the most extensive burrows of any species of tort.

Also, post clear pictures of the plastron, anal scutes and tail area, and we can give you a better idea of sex.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Kristina said:
Is he/she digging with the front or back legs? How big are they? (The torts not the legs lol)

It may just be looking for a good spot for a burrow. Sulcatas dig the most extensive burrows of any species of tort.

Also, post clear pictures of the plastron, anal scutes and tail area, and we can give you a better idea of sex.

took the words right outta my mouth Kristina'......;)

JD~:)

meacreynolds

5 Year Member
Mostly front but does use back. He/she is making it almost perfectly round so he/she can turn around in the hole. If you need better pics let me know.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
It's hard to tell but it looks like your tortoise has a concaved plastron, and the anal scutes are flared out so I think you have a male..

meacreynolds

5 Year Member
The pic doesnt show very good but the plastron is actually flat. I will try and get a better angle of it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My first impression, because of the small tail and direction of the anal scute points, was female. And my guess on the digging is that its the beginnings of a burrow. They DO dig a burrow with their front legs, then they push that dirt out behind them with their back feet. If it were a nest, she would turn around and dig (not push) with her back feet.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
emysemys said:
My first impression, because of the small tail and direction of the anal scute points, was female. And my guess on the digging is that its the beginnings of a burrow. They DO dig a burrow with their front legs, then they push that dirt out behind them with their back feet. If it were a nest, she would turn around and dig (not push) with her back feet.

I saw that with the tail also Yvonne, but the anal scutes are almost the same as Vegas. His Plastron is almost completely flat also, and unless you were up close to him you would not see the it had a slight concave to it. Thats why I hate trying to guess, so many variables..

meacreynolds

5 Year Member
I do wonder if we just may never know until we see eggs or him trying to show off his "manhood."

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
meacreynolds said:
I do wonder if we just may never know until we see eggs or him trying to show off his "manhood."

I was worried about that also now Vegas flashes us once or twice a week. I only had to wait 5 years to find out, it has taken others longer..

meacreynolds

5 Year Member
dalano73 said:
meacreynolds said:

I was worried about that also now Vegas flashes us once or twice a week. I only had to wait 5 years to find out, it has taken others longer..

Thank you for the reassurance. He came in as a rescue and the previous owner said he was 11 years old.

will they use their back feet to dig if the ground is very hard dirt and rocks in the dirt?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
dalano73 said:
It's hard to tell but it looks like your tortoise has a concaved plastron, and the anal scutes are flared out so I think you have a male..

Yuppers .. Dalano' ... your right ! ... That tort is a male....and was by the sounds of it , constructing a burrow/hide~;)

JD~:)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
meacreynolds said:
dalano73 said:
meacreynolds said:

Thank you for the reassurance. He came in as a rescue and the previous owner said he was 11 years old.

will they use their back feet to dig if the ground is very hard dirt and rocks in the dirt?

You would be suprised how easily they can dig through hard ground and break through tree roots..

meacreynolds

5 Year Member
I have seen them do it with their front legs and be shocked but wasnt sure about the back legs being able to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.