Nervous soon-to-be shell-daddy

Cherryshell

Location (City and/or State)
Manassas Virginia
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but at least from what I learned here, hatchlings of any species will thrive in high humidity and will have smooth growth.
A tortoise table MIGHT work with adults of SOME species given the right temp and ambient humidity, but adults will need very large space for walking around, so it will have to be a very large table - in this case it is better to have an outdoor enclosure..
Are you thinking of getting a baby? Did you decide on a species yet?

ATM its a toss up between an Eastern Hermann's or a Russian just for the size (and everything I had been reading suggested these as the best noob tortoises), probably a Well-Started or juvie depending on the price. The AZ move talk has died down slightly so it may be delayed till 2023 as it would really depend if we can get jobs down there.

harrythetortoise

Virginia
ATM its a toss up between an Eastern Hermann's or a Russian just for the size (and everything I had been reading suggested these as the best noob tortoises), probably a Well-Started or juvie depending on the price. The AZ move talk has died down slightly so it may be delayed till 2023 as it would really depend if we can get jobs down there.

I see.. well whichever you decide to get, stick to the recommendations on this forum and you will do great! I really learned so much from here :D ?

Skip K

Virginia
Hi all,

So I'm in the process of purchasing two hatchling Cherryheads from the Youtuber Kamp Kenan and am really excited (and just as nervous) and I want to be sure they have a great life once they've arrived. I live in Northern Va where it can get pretty humid in the spring and summer, but I'm concerned about where to get their in-door enclosure. I'm not handy enough to build my own and the apartment I'm in isn't super big but I have a spot right in front of a double window that I think would be a perfect spot to set up the tortoise table as it'll get a lot of sunlight. I've been doing a lot of research on these little guys so I know I'll be soaking them daily for roughly a year and will need to mist their enclosure to keep humidity levels high but the enclosures I've seen for sale on Amazon and few other sites either don't seem to handle humidity well or the wood isn't exactly top quality. It'll be several weeks before I get my little guys, they should hatch in a few weeks and then he holds onto them for a few weeks afterwards, so I have some time to get their enclosure set up before the big arrival. I really appreciate any hints, tips, and tricks yall might have!

Thanks!
Saw a recent vid of Kenan and it was about a group of hatchling Cherry Heads and one Radiated. He mentioned in the vid they had all been sold. Sounds like you are getting two of them. Congrats... from a keeper about 30 minutes away from you

Cherryshell

Manassas Virginia
Saw a recent vid of Kenan and it was about a group of hatchling Cherry Heads and one Radiated. He mentioned in the vid they had all been sold. Sounds like you are getting two of them. Congrats... from a keeper about 30 minutes away from you

Decided against pulling the trigger for Cherryheads, would be hard meeting the humidity demands and we are moving to Arizona next year where it would be even harder.