Nervous about buying a tortoise online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reatrocity

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Virginia, United States
Hey! A few weeks ago I introduced myself, and talked about my plans for getting my first tortoise. That time has come! :) I have everything I need in order to give my new little friend a happy home. It also happens that my dog's vet also is one of the few vets in the state who cares for tortoises, so I got really lucky in that aspect as well. (If you live in WV-- Dr. Sarah is amazing! Just sayin'.)

I looked around in my general area for places where I can buy a tortoise. Unfortunately there are none in the area that guarantee a captive bred tortoise. For me, this is a deal breaker.

If any of you could recommend me a reputable online store that guarantees I will get a captive bred tortoise, I would be forever grateful.

I'm looking for either an Ibera Greek Tortoise or a Hermann's tortoise, I decided, with slightly more inclination to a Hermann's tortoise since you guys say their personalities are so awesome. :p Haha. I did see Tyler's page, and am definitely considering, but I did want to see if there were any other options available.

Thanks you guys for any help you could give me, I appreciate it.

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
I suggest you go to the for sale section on the forum and if you want a Hermann's tortoise hermannichris sells them. From what I hear and have seen on the forum he is your best bet! Good luck and I hope you enjoy your tortoise!
-Ben

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I bought Cooper online from a breeder in Arizona. And I couldn't be happier with how he turned out or how good he was when I got him. But since that breeder don't seem to be a member here, nor was I when I got him, I wont promote his company on here. But my first experience from online buying was great. And the breeder still keeps in touch due to Coopers huge size for his age, which I really like!

TortForum mobile app!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have heard good things about HermanniChris, if he has any. I would always go to a experienced breeder of the forum with no hesitation too.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I prefer to go to a breeder so I can see
How they take care of the baby's and I feel they get less stress that way be-
Cause a dealer buys from someone like
Me I ship to them then they sell and ship to you
I got mine through " king snake . Com
I got my egyptations , herrman I , Greeks were bought over the internet

reatrocity

5 Year Member
Tyler seems absolutely great, but he only has Ibera Greek Tortoises. They look beautiful, but I'm leaning a bit over to Hermann's tortoises. :) Though I am still leaning a bit more to a Hermann's tortoise.

HermanniChris seems like he would be a good bet. I sent him an e-mail. Hope things work out for me. Thanks you guys so much!

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I got two of my Box Turtles from Chris. He is good person to do business with. He will respond to emails and send pictures, so I recommend if he has what you want that you go with him.

reatrocity

5 Year Member
Wooo, I can't type, clearly. :p

Thank you so much Dixie! Just sent payment to him. I'm *so* excited that I'm finally gonna' meet my lil' guy/gal next week! Will definitely post pictures once I do. Chris thus far has been completely awesome, sending pictures, answering questions and all. I'm absolutely delighted doing business with him.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Good choice! You won't be disappointed when dealing with Chris!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

reatrocity

5 Year Member
Thank you so much Pokey! :) I'm absolutely excited. These next 7 days will feel extremely long! But it will be enough time to get my temps just right for my new lil' pal.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I'm chiming in a bit late, but I have both a Greek and a Hermanni. Chris today helped me determine if mine was an Eastern or Western as he has many Western traits.

I'd vote Hermann!!! But my Greek (who's currently sleeping in my lap, snuggled under my sweater) would disagree. LOL

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

reatrocity

5 Year Member
Thanks Sandy! I was on the fence about both, but the way you guys talk about Hermanns make me think that will be the best choice for me. :) That sounds so cute!! Awuh! Can't wait to snuggle up with my tort!! They truly are incredible.

Still have no idea what I'm going to name him/her. Maybe I'll figure it out once I actually get my lil' buddy.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I'm so excited for you. We'd be happy to help you "pimp your tortoise table".
I'm experimenting all the time with different substrates, lighting, plants, rocks, etc.
They are all unique animals, so I'm carefully studying what each individual prefers.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1379783110.214609.jpg

He got a treat. Dove into this tomato like a Lion into a Gazelle

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

Last edited by a moderator:

reatrocity

5 Year Member
I was recommended to mix topsoil, coconut coir, and sphagnum moss. I found these cute little plant pots for 10 cents each that I might put in as a hide, with the other two I might plant some dandelions and clovers. :) I also bought one of those half logs, of course, so s/he can hide in.

Unfortunately for my tort table I am just using one of those large containers you guys recommended in the past. That however is temporary. I hope to find in the next few months a nice large bookshelf of some kind to convert to a tort table. Since s/he's a little one right now I doubt s/he'll mind too much if I make their home interesting enough.

For lighting I bought one of these: Zoo Med PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor Lamp 100 Watts.

I'll definitely take a picture of it once I get it all taken care of. :) Won't be much, and eventually I'll definitely do a lot more with it, but I've noticed with all of you that you guys constantly see your torts habitats as a work in progress no matter how awesome they look, so I don't feel too bad.

That is such an adorable picture! I showed it to my hubby. :p Hope he falls in love with my tort as much as I already am.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I have a combination of subra toes, and my Hermanni prefers (hands down) a fluffed up combination of large bark chips and moist sphagnum moss all tosses together (salad style).

He also has a choice of only sphagnum (seems to avoid it, but that is where his water dish is so he goes straight for it then back to mixture), and he has "reptile carpet", which is simply a synthetic brown terrarium liner that is easy to wash (washer/dryer). His hidey-log is on it, and he happily spends time on it.
I tried the cocoa coir and HATED it. Expensive at pet stores and I have two torts with indoor enclosures, plus I hate the smell and the mess. Many people love it...not for me. Also tried peat moss, much better odor but still messy.

The peat moss, sphagnum moss and medium or large bark chips all come in big bags at Lowe's or Home Depot very cheap. My massive, too bulky to lift, gonna last me a year bark bag was $4.99
Both torts choose that substrate most often.

I've only owned tortoises since last spring, so I am no expert. However, I have 20++years as a vet tech having to learn about them (school info was limited) to help educate clients, one of my DVMs has lizards, and I spend more time than I care to admit pouring thru forums and books.
So, I decides to just try everything and see what worked. My best advice, set up 3-4 kinds of substrate so your TORTOISE tells you what he prefers. Just make sure he's not choosing the warm light and that's the surface it happens to be.

I'm currently housing him in a "under the bed" Rubbermaid tote, which for this guy is a perfect temporary house while I design and build his table. I love these style totes because they are very long and I can make all sorts of areas to his, climb, hang lights, etc. Three sides are against the wall so no climbing out and falling, so I made the hills and climb areas there. It's lower on my side so he has nothing to climb out with, plus I can see thru it when I'm on the floor doing exercises and Yoga.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1379857527.671927.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1379857554.065267.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1379857585.090107.jpg

It's sitting on a large, wire dog crate in my bedroom....space utilization!
Hopefully you can see the three substrates I used.
I purchased the reptile carpet on clearance on a whim and I love it. My Greek actually seemed to prefer it.

Hope this is helpful, and if anyone sees anything off (other than clamp lamp, I'm out of funds to replace, but working on it), please chime in. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

GEEEZE, good thing I left my proof reading to "autocorrect"....NOT!
Subra toes is substrate. Embarrassing.

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

Last edited by a moderator:

reatrocity

5 Year Member
Thanks for all tips Sandy! Will definitely keep it all in mind. :) I like the idea you have, of having different types of "grounds" around your torts home. I will definitely try something like that. I have no idea what coco coir smells like, but I hope it's not that awful as you say. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.