Need your help, please advise (crack on shell?)

Soefianto

Location (City and/or State)
Surabaya, East Java - INDONESIA
Hi all,
I have been offered this little tort, but please let me know if this is normal, as I see the front part it seems like breakage on the upper shell.

Is this normal? the size is about 12". Please let me know before I make the wrong decision on this one.
Thanks, really appreciated..

image1.JPG

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi all,
I have been offered this little tort, but please let me know if this is normal, as I see the front part it seems like breakage on the upper shell.

Is this normal? the size is about 12". Please let me know before I make the wrong decision on this one.
Thanks, really appreciated..

View attachment 130400

It may be purely the personal shell...as each is different unto the tortoise...however, I will see if we can get Greg to give his opinion...

@ALDABRAMAN

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida

~ Looks like a split scute (B).

~ Looks like the new growth is now developing normal (A).

-1.jpg

~ It is considered an irregularity, however I have seen many worse than this one and many continue to grow as the shell develops. It is purely cosmetic and should never have any issues with the overall health of the aldabra!

Last edited:

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
A split acute is cosmetic only. It should bring the value of the animal down slightly but will not effect it's health. I'd have no problems buying it if the price was within the range I was willing to spend.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Just a general reply about the cost of any totoise. It is based on supply and demand. As well as the economy in the place it it sold. Prices aroud the world for everything vary greatly. Hard to compare.

Soefianto

I just got another photo from the tort's backside, it seems it has a shell flaw.. I don't know, now I'm not so sure about this purchase. I should back up I think, right?
image1.JPG

ben awes

5 Year Member
it looks like a great tortoise to me. the front split is more of a concern only because i can't see into the split. it looks like a crack or a cut, but that could just be the photo angle. if it is just a split scute, then I would not be concerned. he/she looks great otherwise. i probably would not hesitate if the price was right and i had the cash! Someone needs to love this guy!

Soefianto

it looks like a great tortoise to me. the front split is more of a concern only because i can't see into the split. it looks like a crack or a cut, but that could just be the photo angle. if it is just a split scute, then I would not be concerned. he/she looks great otherwise. i probably would not hesitate if the price was right and i had the cash! Someone needs to love this guy!
I hope the seller wants to give good price for this otherwise I won't spend too much money on this one. :(

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Cancel, I meant..
No need to cancel unless your looking for one with a better looking shell. It's not damaged, when we incubate eggs we can never do it quite as perfect as Mother Nature can. This flaw is called a split scute, or an extra scute. It's a cosmetic shell defect only....like a birthmark. Some people specifically look for babies with a split so you can pick them out of a line up, it makes them unique. This cosmetic flaw should lower the price some. How much depends on many variables. Those torts are pretty valuable so don't expect a dramatic price drop but you should get some. Sulcatas are a dime a dozen so one of them with a split scute is drastically reduced.

Soefianto

No need to cancel unless your looking for one with a better looking shell. It's not damaged, when we incubate eggs we can never do it quite as perfect as Mother Nature can. This flaw is called a split scute, or an extra scute. It's a cosmetic shell defect only....like a birthmark. Some people specifically look for babies with a split so you can pick them out of a line up, it makes them unique. This cosmetic flaw should lower the price some. How much depends on many variables. Those torts are pretty valuable so don't expect a dramatic price drop but you should get some. Sulcatas are a dime a dozen so one of them with a split scute is drastically reduced.
Aren't we supposed to look for the perfect one? Just incase we will have the chance to breed them in the future? ;)