Need to re-home my leopard

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Hello all,

I'm absolutely heartbroken to have to post this, and tearing up heavily while writing so bear with me.

I've had a few torts over the last few heads to include Sullys, a Russian, a RES & my current Leo. His (I believe) name is Phoenix.

He is a yearling. About a year and a half. I got him from a friend who uses this site who has owned many torts and has a great deal of experience with them in July 2013 when he was just about a month old. He is very very dear to my heart.

I am 26 and now in college. I recently moved to Corpus Christi, TX into an apartment. I had planned to get a house in the summer and the plan was to move him outside into a bigger area. The thing is- I'm finding myself busier and busier. I live with a guilty conscience a lot of the time because I just don't have time for my baby anymore. I feed him, give him water but I am lucky if I get him a 20min soak a week anymore and I have only been able to change the substrate in his enclosure twice since I moved to CC since August. I realize he needs his humidity.

I don't believe he is suffering any health issues at all yet. He hasn't started pyramiding yet. He needs a bigger enclosure but he's ok... Still have a lot of things for him to include his CHE at night, MVB during the day and other stuff. I just weighed him out at 143.8G. He needs to gain some more weight but he has been gaining weight not losing so I believe that's fine. I feed collard greens, kale, spring mix, mustard greens mostly. Occasionally some Mazuri.

Anyway. I want to make sure he goes to a home of someone experienced on here. Not just some random person who picks them up and reads random stuff online. I'm so worried about where he goes. I'm a struggling college student and can't really afford the cost of taking him to a reptile vet but I can guarantee his health- I've had him since birth. I can provide a reference of the person who sold him to me.

I have no idea how to ship a live animal. I could see about meeting someone in south Texas somewhere. I am in San Antonio occasionally where family lives. If anyone is interested, please contact me. We can talk about the re-homing fee later since I'm not sure what that might cost. Also, I know some people get upset with other animals around torts. I'm going to upload some photos of him with my other two cats in some of them. My cars are head over heels in love with him. They've never once came close to hurting him. They are so protective of him. Hope this doesn't anger anyone. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418390049.536339.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418390076.289960.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418390093.825599.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418390106.543753.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418390128.280802.jpg

Thank you! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418389929.756988.jpg

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'm sorry. :( He is an absolute cutie, I bet a lot of people would be very interested!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Shipping little ones like that is very easy. I recently had to ship a couple and their adopters simply paid the shipping. No $ to me... (I cared more about where they went)
If you find a qualified home and need tips on how to ship, let me know. Also if you want to do what I did, I'll tell you how the adopter can pay the shipping costs directly and you'll never have to exchange$.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
There is a crazy leopard tortoise lady that lives in your town . But I must tell you she is o.c.d when it comes to her tortoises . The best enclosures, food, and water they can get . Her name you ask is Monica .

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
As mentioned above, I am in SA and keep leopards. I just took a foster on yesterday for a friend of mine so I'm just about up to my eyeballs in tortoises, BUT I'm rehoming my large dog and will have more room inside and out for the tortoises and would consider more or I can help you find someone in the area that would be interested.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you can't take him I can . He would have to be shipped to me .

VBgecko

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Alright, I'll throw my hat in the ring …

I've got friends currently living in San Antonio who could ship the little guy … little man would live in a 50 gal tub until summer and then wander a fenced-in garden the size of a McMansion back yard during the summer (obviously contained until he reached a decent size).

I've had 8 years experience raising tortoises and I have a solid tort veterinarian ...

I'm sure that doesn't sound "enticing" but I'll just put it out there if the little guy still needs a solid home …

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Hey friends,

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I'm just now seeing them. I got notifications for messages but not for the thread. This app had changed drastically since two years ago when I was on regularly. I'm waiting on responses from two people currently. If not, I'll message each of you. Thanks so much.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Does anyone know how much shipping typically is overnight? I'm seeing $100. That can't be right, is it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The smaller the shipping box, the cheaper the price. It should cost around $50 to ship that little tortoise overnight.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Ok does anyone know where I can get a fitted styrofoam shipping box or something like that? Also a heat pack that will last overnight? Never shipped a tort before. Watched a vid but unsure where to get supplies locally. Need to do this by Sunday. I don't feel like pet shops are giving me good info. No reptile shops here. & vid tutorials are ok but referring me to order online kits which I don't have time for. I'm thinking Lowes or Home Depot maybe? Idk. Thanks!

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
What I'm thinking of doing is putting him in a cleaned out bill millers cup (that was used for sides) with some shredded newspaper. Holes poked in the lid. Then place that inside the fitted styrofoam box. Fill any gaps with shredded newspaper. Then place a piece of cardboard over it with a 40 hour heartpack taped to the bottom of the cardboard. Then tape it all up. What do yall think? Just gotta find a fitted styrofoam box and heat pack !

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Sounds like it will work. @Team Gomberg shipped for the first time this summer. She might have some tips.