Need to re-home an amazing Redfoot

Louie13

This awesome tortoise, Louie has been a part of our family for nearly 8 years and we post this with very mixed feelings. We love him dearly, but hope we can help him find his way to a better life than what he has here. Given that we live in the Seattle area and he has a great life for about 3 months of the year when he can spend a lot of time outside. This time of year is rough on him and all of us given the cooler weather keeps him inside and miserable. We are hoping to re-home him to a warmer climate, where he can live his days outdoors and with people who can help ensure he gets all the love and care he needs. He is very social - has lived among kids, cats and dogs. He will eat out of your hands.

Are you an experienced keeper of redfoot tortoises? Do you have a secure, safe outdoor enclosure in a warmer climate? Please direct message me to learn more.

upload_2019-11-11_21-6-18.png

Wherethetortiroam

5 Year Member
I live in nebraska and feel your pain. A very handsome and well build indoor enclosure may be the thing for you. Please reconsider. Elaborate or just the necessities, indoor pens can be done on any scale of income.

By the looks of that fancy fire place I think you could afford something. If your not handy or DIY that's cool there are people out their who are.

Do you have a big house or spare room or big living room? Some where where all the action is but out of the way? Torts love stairs, multi level dwellings can be done. I have one I built.

I do free consults but need $30 an hour plus the cost of materials :D

Andy Ye

I too live in Seattle and recently got a RF hatchling.

If you have a large backyard you should consider getting a small shed as an enclosure.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This looks like a great REDFOOT for @ZEROPILOT to add to his place in Florida! Nice looking tort!
I would've already chimed in if the OP didn't live a zillion miles away.
And a male I'd have to make a new pen for to keep him apart from the ladies.....Though that'd be no big deal.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I probably would be able to offer him a great home with his own private indoor tortoise table ( two story at this rate! ) if you would be willing to change your mind about the outdoor encloser... I'm in Winchester Bay, on the Oregon Coast. But my family live in Portland and I'm always up there it seems. I would love to help out admittedly. I've been hoping to adopt a Male that someone was finding troublesome, so that I can enjoy his antics.

Well think about it!

Added: I wanted to add that I already have a red foot enclosure that runs along two walls so my tortoise room, that I'm in the middle of adding my second story to. Your boy Looie would end up with his own two story table along the other two walls.

Last edited:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
He is beautiful and I would hate to let him go if I could help it at all. Don't rush to give him away.
Lots of folks keep tortoises in suitable indoor pens three quarters of the year like you. Just need the right space and temperatures and humidity maintained. How has he managed for 8 years with you? Can we see pictures of his enclosure? Does he free roam your house?
Please try to find a way to keep him if you really want and love him.

Redfoot mom

This awesome tortoise, Louie has been a part of our family for nearly 8 years and we post this with very mixed feelings. We love him dearly, but hope we can help him find his way to a better life than what he has here. Given that we live in the Seattle area and he has a great life for about 3 months of the year when he can spend a lot of time outside. This time of year is rough on him and all of us given the cooler weather keeps him inside and miserable. We are hoping to re-home him to a warmer climate, where he can live his days outdoors and with people who can help ensure he gets all the love and care he needs. He is very social - has lived among kids, cats and dogs. He will eat out of your hands.

Are you an experienced keeper of redfoot tortoises? Do you have a secure, safe outdoor enclosure in a warmer climate? Please direct message me to learn more.

View attachment 282837
I have a red foot and keep him in his own room 75 to 80 degrees in an 8 foot by 3 foot enclosure made out of Guinea pig enclosure with plexi glass to maintain humidity. It is very affordable. My redfoot thrives during the cold months and comes out to soak and socialize with our dogs and cat daily.

20191022_165457.jpg 20191026_183525.jpg FB_IMG_1561084844305.jpg

Redfoot mom

I have a red foot and keep him in his own room 75 to 80 degrees in an 8 foot by 3 foot enclosure made out of Guinea pig enclosure with plexi glass to maintain humidity. It is very affordable. My redfoot thrives during the cold months and comes out to soak and socialize with our dogs and cat daily.
Also I live in post falls so similar weather conditions.