Need to “waterproof” sides of wood enclosure???

chuck21570

Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia, PA
So I have been watching some videos of people who built wood enclosures for their non-baby tortoises, and they only put trash bag / shower curtain on the floor of the enclosure they built. Is that enough, or do you have to run it up the sides? The moist substrate for humidity purposes will touch the sides too,or is it a negligible enough amount to not be a concern?

RubyRed

Florida
I bought a tarp from Home Depot because nothing else made sense to me either and I didn’t want mold or wood rot. It was cheap and very big and they had multiple colors. But if someone else has a better solution I’d be interested to hear it.

Adam_89

Manchester
I lined mind today with a rubble sack, but it looks awful.

I've just posted a new thread, I'm going to try and custom make a liner (possibly from pond liner) to fit my tortoise table exactly!

Nickolas

Pennsylvania
I always build plywood enclosures until they are too large for that. I paint on minwax water based polyurethane. That is what I use for my tegu as well. I have never had any issues with it.

Nickolas

Pennsylvania
It may not last forever, but at some point the tortoise will outgrow that enclosure. Especially with my little sulcatas.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Boot trays work if you can find the right sizes to fit your enclosure when you have a nonburrowing tortoise. I use linoleum on the floor first. You don't have to glue it down just cut to fit. Then go from there. Contain the substrate with whatever you come up with that fits and protects the sides. It does make it easier to clean anyway.