Need suggestions (swimming pool?)

Ella Rollins

Hello all,
I think I can post my doubt here. As i've already said I have a leopard tortoise and later I bought few more tortoises out of curiosity. All of them are healthy and loves to play in water. They get excited whenever they see water. So I was thinking of purchasing a big tank for them. But my kids suggested me to grow them in our pool. We have a pool in our backyard constructed by http://www.soldapools.com/ long years back. It has two separate portions. One for our kids and the other for us. The kids portion is left unused now.
I know that pool water contains chemicals and they are not safe for the tortoise. Is there any way by which I can make my pool safe for them. It will be really awesome to see them play around in our pool. Any suggestions regarding this are greatly welcomed. Thank you.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I don't think so. Isn't there a single filter system for both sections, so the water circulates everywhere?

They would probably be happier with a pond, one they can get in and out of on their own. It would be easier to clean out too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises don't "play" in water. Because they live on dry land and only get to experience water when a puddle forms in the rain, they are not built for being in deep water. Just give your tortoise a large plant saucer of water. That's all it needs.

What kind of other tortoises did you get? You should provide separate habitats for each species so they don't make each other sick.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your Leopard may well enjoy soaking... and a mud hole may well go down well outdoors in the summer... but it isn't a species that naturally swims.

A dish wide enough for it to soak in, but not too deep is safe and sufficient

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Please keep in ind that these are land torts.