NEED SOMEONE IN THE SF BAY AREA!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
It is as I had first seen, and now it's confirmed that Dude had some problem walking. Definitely some MBD. Well, Ellie, whatever you decide, or if Jacqui will need to care for Dude, I know he'll be given the best care from here on out. Good job everyone!

robopeen

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
Wow, those pictures are painful. It's a good thing he's going to be in a really healthy environment now. I don't know enough about MBD, but based on how he looks what does everyone think he chances will be? Will he be able to live a long life now? Poor baby.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It's hard to tell. His possible major health issues are hidden inside. Those are what worry me the most.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Shannon and Jason said:
Poor dude heart breaking......with the proper care in time he will recover correct???

Recover as in live? He has a good chance. It's hard at this time to tell what vital organs are compromised and how badly they are. Recover as in be able to stand up and move like a more "normal" sulcata? With time has has a great chance of that. Will he ever be "normal" looking, no. The damage that was done can not be reversed, but it can be stopped from getting worse and corrected in many ways. Chances are high his life will be shorter then it should have been. Dude is a fighter and he is not giving up.

tinytopaz

5 Year Member
Oakley, Ca
Is this matter still open? I live about 45 minutes from SF and I have a whole side yard dedicated to my two torts. I already rescued 1 unexpected tort, I would not be opposed to homing another.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
OMG! Those pictures are so heartbreaking! It's worse than I had though.

He will probably have some kidney issues and probably won't grow as big as he should either. Poor guy! He is a fighter for sure!

I think Dude has two potential forever homes right now. But I know, sadly, there will be more torts that need help soon.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Well, i must say...i thought charlie looked bad when i visited him, but Dude really, unfortunately is the worst case TRN has gotten yet. Lets hope there arent any more cases like him. You would have thought if she wanted him to go to a good home she would at least clean the poop off his butt..lets hope and pray there isn't anything too extensively damaged. Im sure like Kim said his kidneys can't be doing to well. Ellen, no matter what, you have done a good thing. To all involved you should feel good. He is in better hands now. Hopefully some sunshine, calcium, warm soakes, green grass, good foods, warmth, exercise, and love will get him on the path to feeling better...even if its just a little...

EllieN

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
Jacqui, I'm going to send Dude to you if you're still open to that. I apologize for attempting to hijack this rescue. My heart just goes out to him so much! But I have learned a good lesson here - if I ever participate in a rescue again I will not allow myself to fall for the rescuee unless it's intended to be mine.

To anyone still interested in Dude's case, I see this as the best thing for Dude. Jacqui has several thing I don't have, including lots of space (still hoping he'll grow big some day) and lots of experience. I don't have enough space to house two huge sulcatas separately, and even if my little Puck turns out to be a girl, if she's at all aggressive I'd have to keep them separated anyway for Dude's sake. He can't possibly hold his own against another tortoise. Jacqui can provide a forever home that will truly be forever. Because of her experience, she has plans for features in his enclosure that will exercise his hind legs and help him get stronger just by moving around his space, as well as plans for various other therapies. What I had to offer was mostly a lot of love, and Jacqui will give him that, too.

So Jacqui, I'm going to get him to a vet this week and find the instructions for shipping tortoises on this forum, and we can pm each other about the details and timing. Over time I hope you'll post pictures and keep us all informed on his progress. Bless you for doing what you do and being there for this poor guy!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Awww..as tears enter my eyes, Ellen..i know how hard that decision was to make, but an honorable one at that. No doubt you would have gave him much love. Amazing how much they touch our lives. You have done a remarkable thing just by getting him out of a bad situation and into a better one. So good for you. What a sweet person you are...

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I know how hard it is to send them away. I have mailed off a few with tears in my eyes. It will be for the best though. Ellie, I'm sure the rescue will need you in the future so you will need to keep a space open and you can help save many more torts. And I'm sure Jacqui will post pictures...RIGHT?!?!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
OMG!!! Why? Don't people sense that something is really wrong when their animal looks like that? I bet he can't even walk. Can something be done here???? Kim help! This poor guy looks like he wants to die rather than live like this.

PALOALTO

5 Year Member
Bay area, California
sibi said:
OMG!!! Why? Don't people sense that something is really wrong when their animal looks like that? I bet he can't even walk. Can something be done here???? Kim help! This poor guy looks like he wants to die rather than live like this.

I doubt he can even move in that enclosure, he's too big to even turn around

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If somebody wants to pick him up, he too would be welcome to come here. He also looks exactly like the type of tortoise I want to work with.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
This tortoise is in the same area right? :( poor thing.
I'm on my phone right now and couldn't tell from the CL ad, was there a selling/asking price?

PALOALTO

5 Year Member
Bay area, California
Team Gomberg said:
I'm on my phone right now and couldn't tell from the CL ad, was there a selling/asking price?

It said "free Turtle"...
Yes, this is in the Bay area as well

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
PALOALTO said:
Team Gomberg said:

It said "free Turtle"...
Yes, this is in the Bay area as well

and you get his wonderful cage and lamps, too!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Poor thing! I have tears in my eyes. What is wrong with people?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Momof4 said:
Poor thing! I have tears in my eyes. What is wrong with people?

They don't know or they don't care

We should just be thankful they are getting out of caring for these creatures and hope they find good homes who do know better and can give them a chance at the lives they should be having.

It's because of guys like Dude and this poor guy, that have made me decide to work with the ones that have these issues. To see if I can develop a program to get them back into shape (like walking "normal") so they and others can like them have the best chance at being all they can still be. I figure there are plenty of folks out there who can take in the healthy ones, I just want to focus on the special ones. I am tired of crying for them and not doing anything to change their lives. So this is my new area of work and study.

Status
Not open for further replies.